Building Regulations for Bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a buy-to-let flat and have just received a copy of an electrical check that was done in June 2013 by the existing owner. It has a couple of C2's, which appear NOT to have been resolved:

No visible cross bonding to bathroom
No visible water bond

A C2 indicates an "Unacceptable Condition".

It appears the existing owner has simply ignored this report, but I plan to be a responsible landlord and I don't believe there is any compromise with health and safety.

The block of flats was built in around 2007, so I'm assuming back then, the building regs didn't insist on cross bonding and have been tightened up. Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, then it would appear that keeping up with the regulations every time they change could be an expensive business, although for these particular issues I don't think they are too difficult to fix.

When performing checks like this, I assume the "current" building regulations are used rather than the regulations at the time of the build.

Appreciate your experience on these types of checks.

Sponsored Links
Just because it is not visible does not mean it is not somewhere.

If all the circuits in the bathroom have RCD protection (and a couple of other conditions) it may not be necessary.
It may not be necessary anyway if the pipes are not extraneous-conductive-parts or are satisfactorily connected already.
Measurements need to be taken to determine these thing. You cannot tell by looking at them.

As for the main water supply bonding, similar things apply.
It may be a plastic main from the street.

Did the inspector do any testing?
I suppose you don't know so you will need to start again and employ someone who knows what they are doing.

How do you know the issue has not been resolved?

I would immediately question the competence of someone who uses the terms "cross bonding" and "water bond".

How do you know the issue has not been resolved?

I know this because the flat(s) that the current landlord owns have been managed by the estate agent selling them and they have a full maintenance history and have not been asked (by the landlord) to resolve these issues.

The report we were provided with seemed to be very detailed. I don't know the electrician that was employed to do the tests, but as a qualified electrician, I would hope he knows what he is doing! Of course he could be a cowboy out to make some money from the checks that he performed!

Sponsored Links
Testing is not normally part of an "Electrical Installation Condition Report", as indicated by "Not Visible", (especially if ordered by an Estate Agent who is covering himself) so while he may be correct in stating C2 which means "Potentially Dangerous"; it may not be.

As I said, "Not Visible" does not mean it is not there so you will have to have it tested to determine if any thing needs to be done.

How do you know he was a qualified electrician?

Only in as much as the "Domestic Electrical Installation Condition Report" shows the name of the electrical services company carrying out the inspection and the name of the electrician, with his "position" within the company shown as "electrician".

Once we have completed on the purchase I think I will arrange for a PAT test and ask the electrician to test and confirm the issues raised in the report.

Yes.

PAT (Portable Appliance Tests) are for appliances.

You need another EICR or just a bonding check.

Beware - not all electricians understand bonding.
It is not just a question of "a pipe, bond it". Measurements must be taken to see if it is required.

The flat is all electric. I know there's a free standing microwave in the kitchen, a vacuum cleaner and a washing machine/dryer. I can't remember if there are also some portable heaters, but these may be fixed, instead of radiators. There's also a TV and some lamps. We are trying to get the last PAT report from the Estate Agent so it may not be necessary, depending on how long ago this was done, but it's something I'm aware we may want to do, being a responsible landlord :)

Part of the PAT testing procedure is to fix a dated label to the appliance stating when it is next due for testing. Are those labels there?

It's just a report.

The inspector has noted that there is no bonding visible.
Unless it was specified in the agreement he would not test for 'extraneousness' and other measurements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back