Building supplies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Few things been on the wonk a bit lately, and now round our way it's Cement. Like gold dust now. Anyone else finding this?

TP Jewson Bradfords Selco etc etc ALL out.

Sponsored Links
I know it's not cement per se but just bought 6 bags of postcrete from Ridgeons no problem. There were 3 full pallets next to the part one. Further along there were a number of pallets wrapped in plastic that looked like cement or possibly plaster.

About 3 weeks ago I picked up the last pack (of 6 lengths) of gyproc coving only to then find they had no coving adhesive. Eventually after a week or more some adhesive came in so I grabbed 3 packs but still no coving. Last week I phoned Jewsons on a daily basis because I really needed to get another couple of rooms done to a certain stage. It's a full refurb so I can find plenty of other stuff to do but I wanted the ceilings done with a few coats of paint and maybe one coat on the walls before stuff starts arriving.
Cutting a long story short, on friday I phoned all the Jewsons within a 25 mile range and located 14 lengths in Wadebridge so shot up there saturday morning early, Jewsons had already told me the week before 'don't even ask about cement', so I didn't.

I'm pretty sure the Gyproc is still made in the UK even though British Gypsum is owned by LaFarge, and both are owned by Saint Gobain, as is Jewsons.

I suspect house building is seeing a surge and stocks have never recovered from the earlier lockdowns.

Sponsored Links
Some boiler spares have been difficult to get hold of

seems to be in particular to parts or boilers coming from Italy ?

Near me there's one house having a large extension and another having a house built in it's large garden. They started well and seemed to be progressing, then about 5 or 6 weeks ago they suddenly stopped and the builders disappeared. Still no activity. This thread explains why.

I am finding virtually everything is out of stock.

IKEA have next to bugger all furniture.

Screwfix and Toolstation have a shortage of tools, mitre saws being an item that's hard to source,

Recently though I've been using EH Smith builders yard and they are really well stocked and decent prices, this was about 5 weeks ago mind.

My local timber yard seems to be doing well, though he has a lot of brown treated wood as opposed to green at the mo.

I've noticed a shortage of competent tradespeople, and no signs of when this will end.

Certain types of tiles.
Stuck at the border apparently according to our local store.
I suspect house building is seeing a surge and stocks have never recovered from the earlier lockdowns.
Had several attempts to buy small amounts of certain items, but could only buy in bulk...

No good if you're 'patching up' but ok if you're building a house/houses!

Cement, I wanted some mortar to replace a few bricks on a garden wall, last week, and noticed a lot places are out of stock. I managed to find some at toolstation - ONLY 1 in stock - so purchased that , and it was just enough to do the job

But I am finding generally stock can be a problem.
Wanted 1 bit of trellis and none of the local sheds had any in stock , Wickes, Homebase etc and did not know when next due in stock

i have been looking at various tools over the last few days, Dewalt , mafell etc , Plunge Saw/router/saw/Guides & Clamps , and they are mostly out of stock.
FFX is quoting Jul/Aug before expecting back in stock on a list of about 5 dewalt items i went through with them on Monday
Axminster all out of stock on the items , i was interested in, on website

Mafell seems to be in stock, but a lot of money for a DIYer plunge saw £599.99
D&M Tools mentioned they just don't know when things will be back in stock as they have various lead times on items.

Not sure why Dewalt seems to be so difficult to get items now.

Tanalised timber is hard to get hold of. Decking, joists, fencing, posts, concrete and postcrete all limited. I'm ordering stuff 3 months in advance currently to hopefully ensure delivery.

Not to mention that the costs seem to be increasing too. 6x2 tanalised has shot up in price

Last edited:
My local timber yard seems to be doing well, though he has a lot of brown treated wood as opposed to green at the mo.

Shed needed re-roofing last summer so went to B&Q for timber. Local branch was almost completely out of stock for timber. Just about managed to get couple of OSBs and lengths of 3X3 that I needed.

This was before Brexit, but guessing that now we're out it's only getting worse. What a disaster, leaving in the middle of a pandemic. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot.

Shed needed re-roofing last summer so went to B&Q for timber. Local branch was almost completely out of stock for timber. Just about managed to get couple of OSBs and lengths of 3X3 that I needed.

This was before Brexit, but guessing that now we're out it's only getting worse. What a disaster, leaving in the middle of a pandemic. Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot.

B & q, homebase are awful for building supplies, my local branches never have anything pre pandemic or not and they are far from good value, convenient maybe.

I always go to the merchants or timber yards, better service and your almost guaranteed to get what you want and at reasonable prices.

Leaving in middle of pandemic - Maybe, but prob best to do it now, means things can only get better...

Bit like just ripping the band aid off rather than messing about trying to do it slowly.

I resigned myself to it happening long ago, so now I'm just riding the waves and making the best of it. Rather than whining like a toddler as others do on here....

Sponsored Links
Back