Bumped a tail light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I parked up the other day and didn't put the handbrake on fully. My car rolled very slowly into the car in front of mine, about 10m travel. It bumped into the taillight and cracked it a little.

No damage to body work. Apparently there was no noise said a lady.

Anyway i am going to buy a new taillight for this bmw series 1 coupe 2008 car.

The guy has said he wants a bmw taillight and the cost is £194 plus £25 for fitting (he got a quote from his local garage and not a BMW one)

I was hoping to source a light from say eurocar parts.

Am i wrong in wanting to get a cheaper part ? Is there anyway i can source a BMW part cheaper than £194 ?

Not going through insurance as it just isn't worth it.

Sponsored Links
I've used pattern tail lamp units frequently enough and there has been no visible difference whatsoever and they have all fitted perfectly.
I guess if the owner insists on an original part then there's not a lot you can do - apart from asking for the receipt of course!
John :)

Well car perts 4 less have it at £112 and euro car part £164.

It is a Hella rear light. Not sure if this is original BMW.

If his part was original manufacturer then he can and should demand the same part. I see nothing wrong with that.

Sponsored Links
The original lens may have BMW embossed somewhere....Hella have provided many OE lamp lenses.
If he had to put the car into a body shop, It's likely an original part would be supplied.
I've fitted a couple of lenses to cars that were on PCP's though, and no questions asked come trade in time.
John :)

If I were him and you were quibbling over the price of parts, I’d just say “Sod it, we'll go through the insurance and I’ll have it done at BMW's”!

You have just two options. Pay his price or go through your insurance. You’ve already said it’s not worth going through the insurance so just cough up and pull your handbrake up tighter in the future. Technically though, under the terms of your policy, you should notify your insurers because if he does/has, it will affect you premiums for the next 5 years although I suspect you know that, hence not wanting to go through the insurance. Can he confirm he has not notified his insurers? If he has, you may as well go through your insurance as you’ll get the same insurance loading whether you pay for it or they do!

If you've broken a genuine BMW tail light you should supply like for like..

Lucky he's been reasonable about it an not taken you through insurance..

Sponsored Links
Back