Bungalow: do I need scaffolding to put in a flue liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never had scaff in the past (gas boiler ages ago, flame-effect maybe 4 years ago). Now a neighbour has had scaff erected to change her flu liner. Is it really necessary, or would the usual ladder do?

Sponsored Links
Your choice
Some firms won't let their lads work off a cat ladder on the roof
Some will. Generally what's safer is quicker

I can see that. Do the liner fitters need to be corgi? I can imagine there being corgi guys who don't like the thought of ladders, in which case scaff would increase your pool of contractors, hence perhaps giving one more leverage on price. Was told scaff cost £200 a day, but that was a while ago, and not sure exactly what scaff that referred to.

Such is the nanny state we have become, mostly thanks to europe, you probably need scaffolding to hang the washing on the line and pick the apples from the tree :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You may have read about and council cutting all their trees down in case a leaf fell on someone head.

Hotel got fined a while back when the handymen put a ladder on a branch, then crashed to the ground when they cut the wrong side of the ladder.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that whilst visual inspection can be done from a ladder, no work is permitted any more.

That means that a painter needs a scaffolding or tower but a DIYer does not ( unless the HSE gets involved ).

Some boiler installers will work off a ladder but many will not and engage a roofer for that part.

I don't think that a roofer is correct as terminating a flue liner should be done by a gas registered person. But that's what most will do.

Tony

Hotel got fined a while back when the handymen put a ladder on a branch, then crashed to the ground when they cut the wrong side of the branch

You may laugh, but there's nothing funny about ladders and hotels ....

ft8.6.jpg

... then again :LOL:

My understanding is that whilst visual inspection can be done from a ladder, no work is permitted any more.

Tony

That's interesting if true. As well as the logical inconsistency you raise wrt roofers fitting gas-related equipment, I am reminded of the roofers I saw on a recent development, hopping around open rafters, hurling tiles at each other, without a safety harness or bar of scaff to be seen ... :rolleyes:

Doing that risks serious fines and possible withdrawal of their licences!

All scaffolders need to be qualified now and to wear steel boots, hard hat and safety harness at work!

They get away with more because they are only at an address for a few hours and HSE inspectors rarely make checks while driving round but prefer visiting fixed building sites.

Tony

It kind of depends as far as I'm concerned... I don't like heights but if the house is not too high and the roof reasonably shallow pitch then I'll work off a ladder.. if it is past my comfort zone then scaffold will be priced into the job... Chimneys on bungalows can vary, some near the center of the property aren't so much of an issue but on the outer perimiter of the property can be pretty high and slim so if the brickwork is a few years old, then if you lean a ladder against it then there is a real risk of your body weight pushing it over..

Most larger companies will insist on scaffold for their employees, self employed will weigh up the risk and have a better chance of working off a ladder..

I don't mind a ladder if the pitch is shallow, the chimney is short, and it's not a howling Northerly. Anything I think I'm going to feel unsafe on is done off a cherry picker - scaffold is old hat for this kind of job

You get one life, and I don't intend to loose mine falling off a Bungalow Roof!! cherry picker or scaffold every time! ;)

I fell off a roof a few years back. Luckily I fell on one of my chaps toolboxes and it shattered under me.

Now if I get on a ladder I put a screw eye into the wall and ratchet strap the ladder to it. Much safer. Quick 10mm hole and a rawlplug; I take the screweye with me.

On a windy day, a roll of flue liner is difficult to control and a gust can easily pull you off a roof. Scaffolding or cherry picker job really.

Lets not forget that Emu was left an orphan after Rod Hull fell off his bungalow roof while he was fixing is Telly aerial ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back