Bungalow has gas supply, but not in the kitchen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning a new kitchen, and want to install a gas cooker. Our bungalow has a gas supply (gas fire and back boiler are installed in lounge).

However, the kitchen is all electric and I would appreciate feedback on what work would be required to connect the kitchen to the gas supply. I am aware that this is not a DIY job, and I will be using a CORGI installer, but am interested in finding out what the job will involve in general terms.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
CORGI ceased to be the gas registration body almost three years ago, you need to use a Gas Safe Registered installer.

What is required depends entirely on your house, I have no idea how it's laid out, where the pipework is in relation to each of the rooms, or where the gas meter is in relation to the rooms. This really needs a site visit, get a few guys in to quote

If your bungalow has wooden floors its easy to run a supply to where you need it in the kitchen, either from above or from underneath if theres enought space to get under it.

Getting a gas supply in to a kitchen is easy, never not been able to and worked for a national kitchen company for years doing that very thing !

If your bungalow has wooden floors its easy to run a supply to where you need it in the kitchen, either from above or from underneath if theres enought space to get under it.

Getting a gas supply in to a kitchen is easy, never not been able to and worked for a national kitchen company for years doing that very thing !

Thanks. Our bunglaow has solid floors so perhaps routing from above the kitchen would be the only option. The gas meter is in the garage (which is integrated within the bunglaow and the opposite end of the bungalow to the kitchen) and the main pipe goes from the meter through the ceiling of the garage into our cavernous loft (the loft is open across the whole floor area of the bungalow).

Showing my ignorance perhaps, but would the job entail connecting a hard pipe "spur" from a convenient point on this main pipe and routing the spur into the kitchen, (i.e. in a smilar way as you would run an electrical cable spur from an existing mains cable to install an extra plug socket).

Would this pipe be set into a channel within the kitchen wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
CORGI ceased to be the gas registration body almost three years ago, you need to use a Gas Safe Registered installer.

What is required depends entirely on your house, I have no idea how it's laid out, where the pipework is in relation to each of the rooms, or where the gas meter is in relation to the rooms. This really needs a site visit, get a few guys in to quote

Make sure it's only a few. Don't waste people's time with what's only a few hours work.
Pi55es me right off when you find out your one of 6- 8 people
I never mug people but I'll be damned if I'm going to BE mugged myself ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back