Burnt GU10 lampholder & wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was found after a breaker tripped.

The (non-HR 2 core) flex was lying atop a GU10 fitting, the whole covered with fibreglass insulation...

BurntGU10lampholder.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have noticed a number of posts showing dodgy wiring to GU10's - especially burnt cables - what do regs say eg nust HR be used for final connection, how far - and/or what is best practice?

Regs basically say that materials/products used must be suited to their environment: it is up to you as installer to decide.

But I would use a short length of HR flex jointed onto the fixed wiring.

Thanks got the idea makes sense. Answer another one thats nagged at me for a while, if you will please, sparky once told me that when wiring spots in a chain better to use 1.5 flex (3 core) rather than cable (t/e) - although he did say it was optional - correct?

Sponsored Links
Question came up when I was about to wire 4 spots from underneath (400mm or so between each) along void with no need to cut through joists he said that these could be wired direct (no Jb's) and there would be less "pull" on the lights - this opened up into general conversation ... if I were cutting through joists ... could still use flex for same reason - miss out JB's less pull (?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back