Buying a House - serious electrical defects

IMO the biggest question is does the installation have "good bones" with some bodges on top that can be remediated, or does the bodgery go so deep that the only real option is a rewire.

The taped up CU worries me not because the CU itself is difficult to replace, but because it may reflect the attitude of whoever did the wiring work that is fed from said CU.

Thats my worry, how much of the system was a DIY/cost saving bodge.

Thanks for the advice everyone, ultimately you're right, the cost of remedying the extension/outbuilding CUs is fairly low, and even if it needs a complete re-wire it's a small % of the house cost.

Sponsored Links
Ultimately something will have to be done to the extension CU in any case as I need to install a 32A EV charger in the garage as well!

When I sold my house a shortish while back the electrics were as old as the house and the CU was a wired fuse type. The first two viewers wanted a drop in the price and they were told to take a running. The house still sold within two months and at £20,000 over my asking price thanks to the estate agent.

Sponsored Links
When I sold my house a shortish while back the electrics were as old as the house and the CU was a wired fuse type. The first two viewers wanted a drop in the price and they were told to take a running.
Good for you. It has always been my view that when there is work that obviously (sometimes not so obviously) needs to be done, that the asking price already takes that into account - so that anyone expecting a price drop when they 'notice the obvious' is going to be disappointed!

Kind Regards, John

The latter. if you want an EICR then it's really up to you to get one at your expense. The seller will likely tell you that "the condition of the electrical installation has been taken into account when setting the asking price for the property" as is often advised on this site.
But very often the vendor will say the electrical installation is 'perfect', before the buyer goes on about any obvious defects and certificates.

So should the buyer see if the vendor thinks the installation is perfect first, in order to get a reduction in the price later on?

But very often the vendor will say the electrical installation is 'perfect', before the buyer goes on about any obvious defects and certificates.
That would be a daft vendor :)

As I said, the position the vendor should take is that the house is being sold "as is" and that the asking price reflects that and should really avoid saying anything about their view of what "as is" means. As you say, if they claim that any aspect of the property is "perfect" (rather than "as is"), then they are just inviting someone to try to get a price reduction if they detect 'imperfections'!

Far better to say that (as is inevitably the truth) all aspects of the house (including the electrical installation) are imperfect, and that the asking price reflects that!

Kind Regards, John

That would be a daft vendor :)

As I said, the position the vendor should take is that the house is being sold "as is" and that the asking price reflects that and should really avoid saying anything about their view of what "as is" means. As you say, if they claim that any aspect of the property is "perfect" (rather than "as is"), then they are just inviting someone to try to get a price reduction if they detect 'imperfections'!

Far better to say that (as is inevitably the truth) all aspects of the house (including the electrical installation) are imperfect, and that the asking price reflects that!

Kind Regards, John
Daft or no daft.

One house I have recently had to completely rewire was described by the vendor as having perfect wiring and nothing to worry about with the electrics.

It seems some people, who aren't very clued up, will say such things - whether they believe it or not.

One house I have recently had to completely rewire was described by the vendor as having perfect wiring and nothing to worry about with the electrics. It seems some people, who aren't very clued up, will say such things - whether they believe it or not.
I know they will - which is why they are daft, for not having thought it through.

It may initially feel like a good idea to say that everything about the house is perfect but, as I've described, if one thinks about it that is effectively invitiing a buyer to try to knock down the price when they detect the (inevitable)'imperfections'!

Kind Regards, John

Location, location, location.

If the house is in your ideal location and the layout, grounds etc is exactly what you want, buy the house.

There are always compromises when buying a property. Don't make those compromises on the crucial things.

Location, location, location. If the house is in your ideal location and the layout, grounds etc is exactly what you want, buy the house. There are always compromises when buying a property. Don't make those compromises on the crucial things.
Exactly. For a long time I didn't really believe it, but I have subsequently come across a good few people who really do take things like décor, carpets and suchlike into serious consideration when deciding whether they want to buy a particular house! Crazy ;)

I even recently heard from a friend of someone who decided not to buy a particular ('very 6-figure') yacht because she didn't like the colour of some of the upholstery - even crazier ;)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back