C300H Countax, engine to PTO belt issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of trouble with my C300H.

The engine to PTO belt keeps slipping off the PTO pulley at the transmission end. It's a right faff getting it back on each time I want to engage the PGC and wondered if there was any adjustment on the belt pulleys (I've had a good look and can't see anything) or if it's time for a new belt?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi yes it’s the one with the powered grass collector on the back.

The pto power comes from the engine via a belt under the chassis see photos

Attachments

• IMG_8883.jpeg
    IMG_8883.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8884.jpeg
    IMG_8884.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 60
Very unusual for there not to be some sort of tensioning system - often spring loaded?
If there definitely isn’t, check the belt for fraying along one edge.....if faulty it does cause it to fly off.
John

Sponsored Links
The engine to PTO belt keeps slipping off the PTO pulley at the transmission end. It's a right faff getting it back on each time I want to engage the PGC and wondered if there was any adjustment on the belt pulleys (I've had a good look and can't see anything) or if it's time for a new belt?

Look to see if there is a loose pulley, which has lost it's spring. That is the tensioning pulley, tensioned by a spring.

Unless the belt is in an obviously very poor state, it is not usually the cause of the belt slipping off.

Just coming back to this to share what I hope is the resolution.

The four bolts that mount the engine to the frame. One was missing altogether one was missing a nut and had vibrated against the frame causing the hole to elongate and the bolt to bend and the remaining two on the other side were loose.

The outcome of this was that the engine had moved sideways and backwards which I think might have made the pto belt loose.

Fingers crossed this has now sorted the issue out!

If yours uses a PTO clutch system....

Mine wore out a while back and the replacements are quite quite expensive, because the only sell the entire clutch unit. I got around it, by superglueing some thick gasket material, I happened to have in my workshop, to the steel clutch plate. The glue was only needed, to hold it in place long enough to be able to reassemble it.

Thanks for the feedback - it is appreciated!
I must have my doubts about the loose bolts allowing enough slack to let the belt jump off.......the engine would have to shift a fair way back for that.
Anyway, you've sorted that one which must be good so lets see what happens!
John :)

I’ve given it a good run (my grass is basically a meadow as the machine has been out of action) and the pto belt hasn’t slipped off once so I’m confident it’s resolved.

Off to change the transmission fan next as the belt had snapped all the blades off!

Is this the one?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back