Cable Avoidance Tool or CAT for short!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone use these and are they really any good (he asks having gone through a supply cable to a house on a driveway we were digging up!)

Sponsored Links
not personally, but seen them being swung about, dont seem that acurate, but do seem to give indication something is there.

They seem to use them to tell them where to start digging, you seem to have no choice , "I want my tree there!" you dig the hole

I would have thought a shovel will do just as well, since you have to dig the hole and it will be clunk, oh whats this? dig slowly

JCB yeah dig that out mate, bang oh dear.

you are not telling me you will stop after every scoop with a johns construction bucket (sounds good, but not true) you are going to wave the cat around are you

the c.scope ones are very basic and not that accurate although they have probable improved now, they'll tell you
its with in a couple of foot were it is,
the better one we use is like the RD700 its good on depth readings and accurate within a inch or 2 even with a cable
at 1.5m depth.
if there is any mesh or iron in the ground then they both lose accuracy.

The company i work for do a lot of sub-contracting to NEDL.When any works are being carried out that involves excavation of any type i.e hand digging for fence posts or machine digging for ring beams etc,it is an absolute must that you have cable records for the site and the use of a C.A.T & Genie to scan for cables.
They do work & i personally make sure that i use it everytime im digging.If you get a health & safety audit on site & you haven't got a C.A.T with you then it is an automatic breach of the rules and you will be stopped from working(you then get thrown off site & a major rollicking from the powers above).
Afterall,you wouldn't want to hit a cable carrying 64000 volts would you? Ive seen the outcome of a colleague who hit a cable and was promptly thrown 15 feet into the air and 20 feet down the street......he was very lucky to survive BUT im sure he learnt a valuable lesson that day!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
yep im with you on that 100% which is why im thinking of getting one. ARe they easy to use?

ARe they easy to use?

I would recommend that you go on a training course to use the C.A.T but i suspect many people who are using them would say different.The course i went on lasted for 1 day & at the end of it you get a competence certificate to say you can use the C.A.T correctly.
They are an easy tool to use but its like anything else,once you know how to use it properly you will think it second nature.There are a lot more to these things than just waving it above the ground & waiting for the beep like a bog standard metal detector.I personally think that the course is a good idea because knowing how to use it correctly & competently will help save your life :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back