Cable fire under London Street

Sponsored Links
Is there any more information about this? I have just been told that one place in Tavistock Place had been without internet since the fire and only got it back on today.
Has anyone information about the cause yet?

On the day most mobile phones seemed to be not working, it must have affected some of the mobile network, there was still some large office sites running on generaters last week, hooked into the local subs, i did hear a cable blew out underground and caused a fire, in turn damaging further cables, i assume its a lot of work and quite serious judging by the size of the cordon and the amount of fire service vehicles on the day, apparently smoke was venting up in various locations.
I think the official answer was released last week,

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-yff32&p=electric fault holborn london&type=

This bit made me laugh

"The fire was put out by London Fire Brigade on Good Friday after burning for 36 hours.

National Grid said engineers would return on Tuesday. "

Dont work weekends and bank holiday :)

Sponsored Links
Some of the cables below London streets are oil-filled both for insulation and cooling.

Get's messy when it all goes wrong!

Even an old lead sheathed 11kV cable can cause a heck of a mess it it fails in what could be classed as the open air. Bear in mind that at that voltage you can be dissipating 250MVA or above in a fraction of a second.

Having switchgear terminations totally destroyed is a common occurence

I heard on the news it damaged a gas main which caused the flames up through the manholes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back