Cable for a more powerful shower. 6mm or 10mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm wanting to upgrade my 8.5kw shower to 10.5 or 10.8kw.

I think I have 6mm cable but not 100%. The picture of the white cable is what I have now, the picture with grey is what I checked out at the store.

Can anyone advise? My white cable is around 13mm in width. I don't have any photos of each end as not opened up either end. This is what is showing in the loft.

I was just initially wondering if I had big enough cable (I'm betting I don't).

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,492
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 6,134
Sponsored Links
Almost certainly 6mm for the existing cable.
'Upgrading' to a 10.5kW will make next to no difference.
Far better to ditch the electric shower and install a proper one.

25% more flow at the same temperature, or a hotter shower at the same rate, or a bit of each is not "next to no difference".

Yes, a "proper" shower will always be better, but if that isn't an option then a 10.8 electric works pretty well. I can recommend the Redring Selectronic, as that has proper thermostatic control, not the next-to-useless "anti-scald" feature of most others.

Or if you don't mind the naff styling, they do a thermostatic mixer to go with their Powerstream range of instant heaters, and you can get one of those in a 12kW.

I think I have 6mm cable but not 100%. The picture of the white cable is what I have now

You should be able to find some codes printed or embossed on the cable. In the photo we can see what I think is the manufacturer name; what else can you find?

Sponsored Links
For some reason I missed this:
cable is around 13mm in width
Almost certainly 6mm². [wiki]electrics:cable_types:flatpvccables[/wiki]

Might be OK for a 10+kW shower, might not.

Also pretty sure it's at most 6mm², 10mm² is a monster.

Easiest way is to just check the cpc, see if it's one strand or multi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back