cable required for Electrical hook ups

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I intend to install electric to posts in my small strip of land for overnight campers (when they attend local functions) there will be 12 individual hook up sockets each need to be 16amp,(4 sockets on 3 posts) I can purchase the sockets, but what main box is required and what type and size of cabel is required, can one cable feed all 3 posts with spurs off to each post, if at a later date I wanted to add more what is the best solution
and will the household electric cope ?
thanks in advance
Terry

Sponsored Links
An experienced electrician is all you require.

Caravan supplies have so many regulations to comply with, they have their own section in the regs.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way a DIYer can carry out this work.

Find a good electrician, and I'm sure he'll be happy for you to dig the trenches, concrete in the posts etc, but leave the electrical work alone.

Thanks but I have no intention of connecting or doing the work, I dont want to waste some ones time visitng costing up etc if it is going to be to costly !

A reputable electrician is likely to visit and give an informal estimate of the costs involved without charging for the visit.

Each socket will need to be RCD protected, advisable to feed each post with its own cable from the fuse board where each post has its own isolator and circuit protetion. In the event of a post being damaged it can then be fully isolated without affecting the other posts.

It is un-likely that a normal domestic supply will support that number of pitches.

Have you checked with the local authority that you can have that number of pitches on the site ?

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7426077/electric hook-up information jan 2011.pdf

Sponsored Links
Cable size will depend on the length of the run, and how much redundancy you want to build in to the circuit.

You will need to use SWA cable if it's to be buried in the ground.

If you're thinking about letting campers on site or even a one off of a marquee etc, then you need to be looking at burying the cable 1000mm deep with a good layer of concrete above.

As for the main box, it's impossible to say. There are too many variables to be able to guess.

Also, without seeing your existing supply, it's impossible to say if it's suitable to supply a caravan park.

Certain supply types can not be used for caravans, and the additional load may be too much too.

You will also need to be very clear on the type of earthing you have, is this type acceptable for caravans and if not what earthing system you need to install.

You also need to consult with the DNO to see if your supply is large enough for the additional load

Even trenching for the cabling has to be carefully arranged because of the risk of damage from awning pegs etc.

I've yet to see half metre plus awning pegs, but then I only have a little tent :)

Thanks all

Each socket will need to be RCD protected, advisable to feed each post with its own cable from the fuse board where each post has its own isolator and circuit protetion. In the event of a post being damaged it can then be fully isolated without affecting the other posts.

This seems logical even to me so what size and type of cable would I need ?
thanks

I used to put up marquees many years ago and we'd anchor then with metre long steel pins.
Yes, ive done that too, which is presumably why as well as a minium depth of 600mm they should be placed outside of areas expected to have stakes driven.

Theres a great sign on the towpath side of a canal somewhere (might be the lower grand union?) which reads "HIGH PRESSURE ELECTRIC CABLES BELOW TOWING SURFACE - DRIVE NO PINS."

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back