Cable size for 32a breaker?

I've just re-read the OP and if you have correctly relayed the information from the electrician I think it's looking a lot like he is incompetent, we have all been been concentrating on the 32A MCB but now I realise I misunderstood his FCU fuse rating, it shouldn't be 13A as the heater elements usually only have 0.5mm² flex. The fuse could usefully be 3A or 5A max.
Following on from Erics excellent post I'd possibly suggest the new dedicated radial would be well designed if using a 6A MCB and double pole switches without fuses. However FCU's tend to be cheaper and argueably more convenient.

Sorry, I missed this earlier post.

Actually, without thinking, I mentioned a 13A fuse, but agree with you that it should be less. I don't think the electrician specifically mentioned a particular fuse rating. I've just looked at the instructions that came with the element and they also don't mention fuses, only a double pole (all points of contact?) switch and the requirement of a 30mA MCB, so this does seem to fit in with what is being said.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I missed this earlier post.

Actually, without thinking, I mentioned a 13A fuse, but agree with you that it should be less. I don't think the electrician specifically mentioned a particular fuse rating. I've just looked at the instructions that came with the element and they also don't mention fuses, only a double pole (all points of contact?) switch and the requirement of a 30mA MCB, so this does seem to fit in with what is being said.
The original post [#1] proposal does make sense and as I said 3A or possibly 5A fuses will be perfect and as has been mentioned a number of times a MCB in the consumer unit of 16A or 20A will be ideal.
There are so many right ways of doing this.

It is normal practice to install a local double pole isolator, an as the manufacturer asks for one it would be hard to justify not installing one.

2.5mm² cable from a 32A or preferably a 16A or 20A circuit breaker supplying an FCU for each heater is an absolutely standard circuit.

You’ll learn to ignore Winston. He has some strange obsessions which he likes to present as facts.

There are no 30mA MCBs.

How do we know all the other things the electrician is supposed to have said are not also misprints or misinterpretations

Sponsored Links
I randomly selected an instruction manual, it said low voltage (OpenTherm) but OpenTherm does not use low voltage, it uses extra low voltage, so do I take any notice of the manual? Baxi is British so not because for USA market.

There are no 30mA MCBs.

Point taken. That's me mixing up MCB's and RCD's again :)

How do we know all the other things the electrician is supposed to have said are not also misprints or misinterpretations

I guess you don't! I've tried to describe the situation as accurately as I understand it with my limited electrical knowledge. Apologies if this has fallen short, but the feedback has been very useful.

Why? What possible reason can a manufacturer have to demand a particular type of switch for a towel rail that it would affect the working of it?
I agree. I would say that if, for whatever reason, manufacturers want to talk about things which do not affect the working of their product and which are not required by any regulations, they should at least restrict anything they say to a 'recommendation', rather than seeming to 'demand' something' - and I'm not too happy with even a 'recommendation' if it's something that no regulations require. I'm more than a little surprised by the view RF seems to have about this.

Kind Regards, John

Where is he? Where's the man with no regs? Surely he must have an example of incorrect manufacturer's instructions..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back