Cable to Outside Light. Where Should it Go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has an outside light installed when her house was rewired about 25 years ago by the then EMEB (East Midlands Electricity Board) the T&E cable supplying it is clipped direct to the outside wall. (There didn't seem to be an issue with PVC and sunlight back then, as they also installed PVC on a catenary out to the garage, but that's another matter)

Several times she has asked me if it would be possible to move the cable so that it's hidden. I've always told her that cables inside cavities are not allowed, and that it can't be buried inside the property because there would be nothing to indicate its presence. An answer that has always satisfied her....... until her sister moved into a fairly new build bungalow with several outside lights and no cables on show. There is nothing to indicate their presence inside the house such as a switch or other electrical accessory, nor could the cables be in a corner (safe zone).

So I have now been called to task to explain. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Because the cables for the lights on her sisters new house probably come out from the floorboards level so the safe zones issue doesnt apply. You could do the same on your mothers house and drill out from under the floor boards unless the lights are mounted higher in which case they will need to be moved.

There didn't seem to be an issue with PVC and sunlight back then, as they also installed PVC on a catenary out to the garage, but that's another matter
They didn't have sunlight in the East Midlands 25 years ago.... :LOL:

No, but seriously - there are ways in which the bungalow could have been done - conduit, BS 8436 cable, cables >50mm from the surface - you won't know unless you go and look.

if you could get a flexible conduit up the cavity then you can run the cable in that.

Sponsored Links
Because the cables for the lights on her sisters new house probably come out from the floorboards level so the safe zones issue doesnt apply.
But she lives in a
fairly new build bungalow.
There aren't any floorboards :eek:

But I get your drift, unfortunately mum lives in a bungalow too.

They didn't have sunlight in the East Midlands 25 years ago....:LOL: .
Probably not, but today we do :D probably be horrible for the weekend though :cry:

The cable comes from the ceiling, out behind the soffit with about a 2' (60cm) drop down to the light.

I meant in her sister's new place.

It will be really awkward to get to the eaves inside the loft, but putting the cables in the cavity will be the least disruptive solution. The reasons for not running cables in cavities are twofold:

1) If CWI is installed then the cables could overheat or be damaged by contact with the insulation.

2) They can't be properly supported.

In this case (2) isn't an issue because of the short drop, and provided you don't use PVC cable and use a size which would be OK if it's rated current carrying capacity were halved then that would take care of (1).

Or go with the flexible conduit idea, although that will require larger holes in the walls.

Another thought which has just occurred to me is how far below the interior ceiling level are the lights? If you drilled upwards at an angle could you emerge within 150mm of the ceiling?

It's scary how they wobble, isn't it.

I'm normally a bit cavalier re eye protection when drilling holes in brick or block, but seeing that metre long bit precessing as well as rotating does make me switch off and think "I'll just get my goggles"... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back