Cabling and roof insulation

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In an attempt to reduce the heating bills I am thinking of increasing the nominal couple of inches of insulation in the roof space (the orange fibery stuff) to something closer to the now recommended 10 inches. The existing cabling in the roof, both 2.5 and 1 sq mm, was installed along with the insulation about twenty years ago. The cables lie mostly underneath the existing insulation.

As I will have to crawl all over the roof space what's the best way to position the cables? Would it be better if I laid them on top of the new insulation, if there is sufficient leeway? What do I do if the cables are tight and can't be lifted above the insulation. Will this matter? And will the weight of the cables press into the insulation?

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Cables enclosed in insulation have a lower current carrying capacity and thus the specification for the circuit when designed will have been affected. Worst case senario, cables can over heat and cause a fire. If possible lay the cables on top of the insulation. If in doubt get an electrician to check it out.

It might be wise to clip the cables to the roof rafters overhead - this will keep them away from the insulation. Though you will have to replace a lot of lengths of cable for this. Cable is cheap. Fire repair isn't ;) insulation on just one side will reduce the capacity of the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back