Calculating lighting for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4.5m by 2.5m garage. Walls now painted white. I will have a small workbench area, otherwise mainly for storage. Currently lit by a single 13W LED bulb (equivalent to 100W) and it’s dim.

I was looking at LED batten lights and also surface mounted lights like this >>one<<

Overkill? I hate shadows and dim corners.

Sponsored Links
I have three of these in my garage. It is 5.6m X 3.1m

Two are longitudinally mounted in the middle starting right at the back. The third is mounted across the width just behind where the UAO door comes to in the open position.

My garage is not painted white, but I have restricted vision and greatly appreciate a very bright light.

I would recommend an LED strip light or two. They are very bright (upwards of 1000 lumens) and come in various lengths and use very little power. E.g. TLC electrical sells two - one at about 1100 mm and the other just over 1400 mm., but I expect there are others out there.

I would recommend an LED strip light or two. They are very bright (upwards of 1000 lumens) and come in various lengths and use very little power.
That's also what I would do.

However, I'm not so sure about "very little power" - they use about half the power as does the same length of fluorescent tube and, in round figures, produce roughly half as much light - so the lumens/watt is actually in a similar ballpark to fluorescents.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you find some 4' or similar Florrie fittings in a skip use them. If installing from scratch then use the 4' LED jobs- they are excellent. No flicking start, no starters to fail, far less likely to be smashed by careless ladders etc. Stick 3 up to start with, add more if you feel the need.

Paint the garage white if you can.
bank holiday coming up.

I painted my brick coloured garage white 20 years ago then painted the floor.
it makes so much difference

I would certainly have a panel just over the work area

Paint the garage white if you can.
Already done and it took me longer than a weekend. Had to repoint the brickwork (having never done anything like that before), spray with stabilising solution, two coats of paint. Took me about three weeks, a few hours every few days.

A garage can be a place to keep the car, or a place to work on the car, or the name of an area used to store items or work in, and there is never a car in the garage, each needs different lighting, working on a car low down light is required, working on a bench likely lights around the bench, working with rotating machines today I am very wary, not sure which modern lights can't produce a strobe effect and not make some thing turning look stopped or turning much slower than it is?

In the kitchen which is also a work bench, although used by wife not me, I used a Lidi smart 2 meter light strip, it was rated 20 watt, and so close to the work area if anything too bright, but can be turned down. As it is flexible it follows the inside of the cupboard above the work surface giving a shadow free light.

However if you are building a boat in your garage that will not help, so it is down to what you are using the garage for, but I like the strip light on the wall above the bench, great to light bench, but does not light in cupboards under the bench, so it depends on what your using the garage for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back