Cambodia, Vietnam etc success stories

• Thread starter sodthisforfun
  • Start date
S

sodthisforfun

And is it so different from loads of other countries, where all the families are very close, with Grandparents living with the families, or in the same area, mixing on a frequent basis?

I have experience of far eastern customs and cultures, notably Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and The Philippines.
The culture of families living close together is very similar, BUT,
Vietnam - 5 deaths from Covid, 100,000,000 population, .
Cambodia - no deaths from Covid, population 16,000,000.
Laos - 0 deaths from Covid,
Philipines 2,000 deaths, population 110,000,000

So obviously the culture of families living close together does not appear to be a factor.

I was interested to see why some of the countries he mentioned have had a good result, following Himmy's post saying that family set up has nothing to do with it.

Himmy didn't take into account several factors.

They locked down quick, instantly. They stopped foreign tourists. Some of the countries have a lot of remote areas, where people live far away from each other. Some of the inhabitants are too poor to travel anyway, therefore limiting catching Covid from overseas. In some cases, they had great tracing systems. The people were very good at wearing masks, instantly.

Whereas...

Iran reacted slowly, it didn't shut down mosques, ask people to wear masks, and like the UK, didn't introduce other restrictions fast enough because of fear of affecting the economy. They didn't test enough people and they're now experiencing a huge surge because they opened up the country again.

So I think Himmy is comparing apples and pears. The success of some countries, like NZ, is down to how they handled the pandemic from the start.

I also think that Himmy should read this about the spread within family clusters:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177072/

Perhaps then he'd stop calling people prejudice? Ha ha ha ha, ok, perhaps not.

Sponsored Links
So you do now recognise that there are multiple factors that influence the mortality rate from Covid.
UK and USA being perfect examples of poor performance by the government leading to high mortality rates.

Therefore pointing the finger at one country, for one factor, and blaming that factor on the mortality rate is not sensible, especially when the mortality rate is less than UK.
Additionally, assuming that the emerged figure is still an under-estimation, despite it being close to the calculated figure is prejudice, when there are no other indications, basis or experience on which to base the assumption.

Then, on top of that, if one refers to the use of children as assets to be exploited, then it is dangerously close to pure propaganda.

Do you now recognise that to call someone prejudice when they a, weren't being prejudice and b, large families do in fact suffer the spread of the disease? This is the stage that you started to abuse Vinty with your accusations.

As I said in the other thread, stop having a go at people and just discuss- isn't that what you're always saying to me?

Ps, the mortality rate for Iran has yet to be established, as per the thread title, there are accusations of bad reporting. So you can not yet compare the UK to Iran (our own reporting is bad too).

Apples and pears. Your comparison was pointless.

Therefore pointing the finger at one country, for one factor, and blaming that factor on the mortality rate is not sensible, especially when the mortality rate is less than UK
Strawman, sodthisforfun clearly mentioned multiple factors in regards to Iran, Vietnam, NZ etc etc.

Sponsored Links
We are not discussing what Sodthisforfun said. We are discussing Vinty's posts.
Strawman.
No we are not, you were the one who bought in other counties with large families - as a strawman argument.

Do you now recognise that to call someone prejudice when they a, weren't being prejudice and b, large families do in fact suffer the spread of the disease? This is the stage that you started to abuse Vinty with your accusations.

My very words:
"I think you are just displaying prejudice, because this story gives you an opportunity to do so, and you are grasping that opportunity with both hands."
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/iran.550206/#ixzz6U3PhGeh5

"I think" clearly expresses my opinion about Vinty's comments.
I explained my basis for that opinion clearly and calmly.

If you go into a shop, pay for something, and are short-changed, it isn't abusive to point out that you have been shortchanged.
It isn't abusive to point out that you feel you have been insulted.
It isn't abusive to point out that you feel you have been abused.
It isn't abusive to express an opinion that you feel someone is displaying prejudice.

Last edited:
No we are not, you were the one who bought in other counties with large families - as a strawman argument.
Do you remember saying this?
"what experience do you have other than google and wiki and using this opportunity to accuse someone of racist stereotyping?"
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/iran.550206/page-2#ixzz6U3REWMOa

Do you remember saying this:
"attempting to lord it over people? Then you'd not have sounded like a knob once again."
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/iran.550206/page-2#ixzz6U3Rh6y5A
Clearly abusive and no other explanation for it.

My very words:
"
I think you are just displaying prejudice, because this story gives you an opportunity to do so, and you are grasping that opportunity with both hands."
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/iran.550206/#ixzz6U3PhGeh5

I think clearly expresses my opinion about Vinty's comments.
I explained my basis for that opinion clearly and calmly.

If you go into a shop, pay for something, and are short-changed, it isn't abusive to point out that you have been shortchanged.
It isn't abusive to point that you feel you have been insulted.
It isn't abusive to point out that you feel you have been abused.
It isn't abusive to express an opinion that you feel someone is displaying prejudice.
None of that is relevant.
THINK is just you trying to wiggle out of your mistake.

Iran does have large families. The disease does spread in families (of course it does).
You were wrong on both accounts, you accused him of being prejudice. If he'd said that about the UK instead of Iran, would you have said the same? NO!

You never can admit a mistake can you? Instead just dig yourself further into numptyness.

Do you remember saying this?
"what experience do you have other than google and wiki and using this opportunity to accuse someone of racist stereotyping?"
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/iran.550206/page-2#ixzz6U3REWMOa

Do you remember saying this:
"attempting to lord it over people? Then you'd not have sounded like a knob once again."
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/iran.550206/page-2#ixzz6U3Rh6y5A

Clearly abusive and no other explanation for it.
Irrelevant to this post and I notice you've ignored all the points about the countries you mentioned and the difference in how they've handled covid. Instead complaining about my posts...

Stop being abusive to others and accuse them of prejudice when there is none. I do have an observation for yours though - you live for racism. You can't wait to accuse someone of racism/prejudice, even when it's not true.

The epidemic of 1664 to 1666

Some 100,000 people, one quarter of the city’s population, died in London alone.

The plague reached Eyam in the summer of 1665 when a London merchant sent flea-infested cloth samples to the local tailor, Alexander Hadfield. Within a week, Hadfield’s assistant, George Vickers, had died a prolonged and agonising death. Before long, the rest of the household had fallen ill and died.

Until now, the plague had been mostly contained to the south of England. Terrified the disease would spread across the north, wiping out other towns and communities, the villagers realised there was only one option: quarantine. With the guidance of their rector William Mompesson, they decided to isolate themselves, creating a perimeter of boundary stones that they vowed not to cross … even those who were not showing any symptoms.

“It meant they couldn’t escape coming into contact with the disease,” explained Catherine Rawson, secretary at Eyam Museum, which details how the village dealt with the plague.

It also meant making careful plans to ensure not only that villagers were kept in, but that others were kept out – and the residents could still receive the food and supplies they needed.

The villagers established a system of boundary stones around the village’s periphery, boring holes into the rocks and leaving coins soaked in vinegar – they believed it acted as a disinfectant – in the holes. Merchants from surrounding villages would collect the money and leave bundles of meat, grains and trinkets in return.

THINK is just you trying to wiggle out of your mistake....
You were wrong on both accounts, you accused him of being prejudice. ...
You never can admit a mistake can you? Instead just dig yourself further into numptyness.

. I do have an observation for yours though - you live for racism. You can't wait to accuse someone of racism/prejudice, even when it's not true.
Evidently you are intent on reverting to your normal behaviour.
So I'll leave you to enjoy your abusive attitude.
You evidently have immunity to continue it as and when you want.

Evidently you are intent on reverting to your normal behaviour.
So I'll leave you to enjoy your abusive attitude.
You evidently have immunity to continue it as and when you want.
Of course you leave, using my posts as a convenient excuse, while again playing the victim..
Truth is you're wrong. You were wrong to say what you said to Vinty. Funny how you don't like what I say to you yet you can be as abusive to others as you like.

Takes strength of character to apologise to Vinty or admit fault. I am not shocked you won't.

Greece has faired very well... When I arrived half of my fellow passengers were randomly selected for testing. It is bl**dy hot here typically about 30 degrees from around 8am rising to mid 30s and I'm sure the virions (which are destroyed within 15mins at 56 degrees) don't get much of a chance with surface temperatures not far off. The second benefit they have is the distribution of their population and the geography (lots of small islands).

One of the big differences between poor countries and rich countries is the mobile nature of their citizens. I doubt your avg. Vietnamese person travels much in his or her daily business. In contrast Heathrow airport was the primary infector of London, which acted as a hub to distribute around the country. I'm not saying the govt are blameless, the UK Passenger locator is as complex as an annual tax return and we could have easily randomly tested people on arrival like they do in Greece.

In terms of people, I'd say the greeks are very complacent, not much mask wearing or social distancing.

Sponsored Links
Back