campsite electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we are planning to open a camp site next year and we need to sort a supply out to the site,we need a 270 amp supply -any idea what we need to ask the DNO for?

cheers

Sponsored Links
270 amp, how did you come up with that figure? Was that done in consultation with an electrician?

If you really need 270 amp then a single phase supply will very likely be limited to 100amps so you will need to ask for three phase.
They will ask you for the max demand. So you'll be asking for 100amps per phase.

That will give you the supply to the site. Everything else including the runs out to the pitches and distribution will be done by your electrician.

Is a campsite one of the installations not allowed a PME supply?

Is a campsite one of the installations not allowed a PME supply?
Supply to the whole site yes, but certainly not to the individual pitches.

This DIY forum is not an appropriate place to get advice on the total size or type of supply either, as any mistake will be very costly. Hopefully the OP wasn't intending to do any of the design or installation work themselves, as it would be far beyond the capabilities of any DIYer.

Sponsored Links
so 125 amp 3 phase supply? and the only part a electrician will be doing is fitting a 3 phase socket ;)

To supply a caravan you can either use TT or TN-S but not TN-C-S however in practical terms it is very hard to be certain a supply is TN-S as the split between combined and separated may be on the suppliers side of the installation and unless the transformer was solely supplying the caravan site I would say in practice only option is a TT supply.

At 70Kw you may have a dedicated transformer in which case very likely split phase rather than 3 phase. With this in mind you need to talk to supplier first as it would affect how you would best layout the site.

As to diversity that is hard to work out. On one site it had run for years with 5A average supply to each plot and then it all seemed to go mad and it transpired many of the caravans belonged to away workers who used more power than normal holiday maker.

As already said this is not a DIY job. You may be better with
IET forum however when I was looking for information on old house wiring systems it was this forum which came up with answer not the IET one.

You certainly are not allowed to use PME for the earth to a caravan - it is prohibited by the ESQCR.
Grouped sockets need to be on the same phase (they did in the 16th edn regs, not 100% sure on the 17th), each socket needs to have its own 30mA RCD and overcurrent protection.
You also need to be very careful on the cable routes given people will be driving a stake into the ground for tents or awnings.
There is a whole section of the regs specifically for camp sites, I suggest you read them. The whole site will need to be certified, usually by a NICEIC or ECA full scope member for the council to accept it.
You are not in the realms of domestics so best advice is to get an electrical contractor in to do the work.

no mention of same phasing in the special locations bit of the new regs.. but it makes sense.. one 3C SWA to the middle of each 4 pitch area..

RCD's must be 2 pole.. .. must disconnect ALL live conductors..

SWA burried at least 600mm down and in an area not likely to have ground anchors or pegs driven in.. ( good way would be to make a cross out of slabs dividing the pitches and run the cable under the slab area.. )

what amount of diversity do you apply for a caravan site? :);)

pre-made hook up posts..

the site has a 11000 volt line across the site but in the past their has been a 3 phase supply on site which has been cut back to the box on the post

the on site distribution has to be removable hence i will use rubber box and pre made swa cable

TN-S is the earth ;)

I hope the 11kv overhead is nowhere near any of the pitches!
Sorry but it sounds like a complete lash up - what does the council say re the I&T side of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back