Can a pitched roof be designed with max 2.5m height?

Hands up, we confess to a stupid error in our post, which we sincerely apologise for.
We did these calculations in a rush as we were going out and as 2400 storey height is a fixture in our mind when working out roof calculations, in this instance we forget that we were only working to a 2500 ridge height.
If the raised tie joists are bolted to the rafters one third up the pitch line, this will give you a flat ceiling the length of the building approx 1740 wide with a storey height of 2035 say 6ft 8ins.. From there a sloping ceiling approx 600 long down to a storey height against the wall of 1875, 6ft 1ins.
Now if these storey heights are to low for you, in the past for aesthetic reasons we have dropped a couple of buildings for clients in to the ground. We have devised a method of water proofing the cavity wall so that no damp penetrates through the wall or up the wall. We note that woody has also made this suggestion.
If you dropped the floor level 225 into the ground, this will then give you a storey height to the flat ceiling as above of 2260, 7ft 5ins with the same slope and a storey height against the wall of 2100, 6ft 10ins.
Agree this gives you a step down into building, but if you put a path out 1500 from the door with a 9 degree angle, then you could comfortably wheel a BBQ, mower or barrow in. 9 degrees is only a gentle slope.
Mention twio other points if you do put raised ties in, to help prevent any possible spread, drop a hanger down to each joist from the ridge. You could also go a vaulted ceiling, but that will mean a steel from gable to gable. Steel will cost about £300 to £400 inc VAT
As we feel bad about giving you wrong information, if you want to, PM us your home address, we will do you drawing for roof and drawing how to damp cavity walling and post on to you.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links
Lowering the floor would mean a large step down when entering wouldn't it?

1) How says PP would allow it?

You dont just step into the building, you would lower some of the ground outside too, and form the step or ramp away from the door

As for planning permission, they are unlikely to resist a modest raising of the ridge if it makes the building look better

Hands up, we confess to a stupid error in our post, which we sincerely apologise for.
We did these calculations in a rush as we were going out and as 2400 storey height is a fixture in our mind when working out roof calculations, in this instance we forget that we were only working to a 2500 ridge height.
If the raised tie joists are bolted to the rafters one third up the pitch line, this will give you a flat ceiling the length of the building approx 1740 wide with a storey height of 2035 say 6ft 8ins.. From there a sloping ceiling approx 600 long down to a storey height against the wall of 1875, 6ft 1ins.
Now if these storey heights are to low for you, in the past for aesthetic reasons we have dropped a couple of buildings for clients in to the ground. We have devised a method of water proofing the cavity wall so that no damp penetrates through the wall or up the wall. We note that woody has also made this suggestion.
If you dropped the floor level 225 into the ground, this will then give you a storey height to the flat ceiling as above of 2260, 7ft 5ins with the same slope and a storey height against the wall of 2100, 6ft 10ins.
Agree this gives you a step down into building, but if you put a path out 1500 from the door with a 9 degree angle, then you could comfortably wheel a BBQ, mower or barrow in. 9 degrees is only a gentle slope.
Mention twio other points if you do put raised ties in, to help prevent any possible spread, drop a hanger down to each joist from the ridge. You could also go a vaulted ceiling, but that will mean a steel from gable to gable. Steel will cost about £300 to £400 inc VAT
As we feel bad about giving you wrong information, if you want to, PM us your home address, we will do you drawing for roof and drawing how to damp cavity walling and post on to you.
Regards oldun

Hey oldun

Thanks so much for that. There is absolutely no need to apologise for a simple miscalculation, especially when on a Saturday afternoon I'm sure you have better things to do! Your input is greatly appreciated.

Though you owe me nothing I would be eternally grateful for those drawings in case I do pursue this approach.

I will pm you my address.

kindest regards

Sponsored Links
Lowering the floor would mean a large step down when entering wouldn't it?

1) How says PP would allow it?

You dont just step into the building, you would lower some of the ground outside too, and form the step or ramp away from the door

As for planning permission, they are unlikely to resist a modest raising of the ridge if it makes the building look better

I don't know what it is Woody but I always seem to feel its better to avoid the planners if at all possible. This is probably irrational I'm sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back