Can a Plumber please tell me the truth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a combi fitted in my garage. Now the flue pokes into my alleyway between my garage and next doors wall which is 1000mm.
Now the owner of the corgi registered plumbers who'll fit the combi reckons I only need 600mm. The guy who'll actually will fit the combi called in and thought it was tight and said next doors wall may get stained. When I asked the owner again he said he thinks it'll be fine but If it isn't hell fit a plum kit and point the flue down my alleyway .
Does anyone know the legislation?

Sponsored Links
From a surface facing the terminal it is a minimum of 600mm, but this does not mean to sya that it will not cause a nuisance factor with the pluming.

Any windows in the ally, yours or the neighbours.

Is the ally covered

Should also ask if theres any vents in the wall as well

Sponsored Links
only one answer possible here. it depends on what the service and installation manual says about this particular boiler.

personally i think your asking for future grief.in winter the alley will be like the foggy streets of london in jack the rippers day. if it does cause staining or any form of nuisance , you could be forced to pay for it to be resited elsewhere.if the the fella of whom your contract is with is so certain it will be o.k , ask him to guarantee the install against such comebacks.Also , building regs state 2.5m.MI,s only come into effect if no nuisance or damage to neighbour or property is present after install.

Environmental health also advise 2.5m.

If there's an alternative e.g the garage roof for example then I would go for it

Many manufacturers require more than 600 mm, often 1200 mm.

But quite apart from that the draft Building Regulations require that flues are not to discharge towards a boundary within 2500 mm !!!

You really seem to have engaged a team of cowboys who are short of work and plan to install it anyhow.

Thats not your problem as they are the experts!

I would strongly suggest that you do not pay them the full amount until it has been inspected by both CORGI and the local Building Inspector to see if they can agree that its acceptable. If not then its the installers responsibility to sort it out at their expense. CORGI can serve a defects notice on them.

Tony

Also , building regs state 2.5m.
Not so. The Building Regulation (ADJ - diagram 3.4, page 42) figure is 600mm as already stated. The figure of 2.5 metres is purely used in the condensing boiler exemption assessment, which isn't relevant in this case.

There is a slight risk of water condensing of your neighbour's wall and window. this water will be mildly acidic so might possibly cause discolouration or damage to the wall/window. It might be best to fit a plume diverter kit to direct the condensate plume away from your neighbour's wall.

The building regulations fogure of 600 mm is based on non condensing natural draught boilers.

Not even fan flued!

Just as well you only repair boilers Chris!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back