can a Sharp Organiser LCD display be restored?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, there does not seem to be an appropriate heading to put my question under, so perhaps I may strike lucky here, with General Discussions.

I have an old Sharp ZQ630 organiser (256KB), but the liquid crystal display screen has now a large, dark "shadow" on it, and it's obvious that the display is finished, for practical purposes. I searched on the Web, and found supposed ways to restore such damage. One was to hold a packet of frozen peas on it for a while, and this worked a bit, but not nearly enough to cure it. So, I gave up trying to cure it myself, and would be willing to pay a reasonable price if it could be properly cured.

The thing is, I don't know where to look. Perhaps there are firms that undertake work of this nature, but I can't find one. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of saving this much-loved organiser? I did buy another (second hand), but it does not have the storage capacity that I would be happy with. Nor is the screen big enough. So, I should like to have my old one restored, if possible.
With thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
It’s pretty ancient.
I guess some small phone type repair shops might take it on?
But the spares may be an issue.

you may need to buy the same (screen ok) model as a donor.

This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165404401138 would be worth a punt.

If you watch ALL the Wheeler Dealer episodes, one or two of those feature an LCD repair, but I can't remember if they had to just replace it...
I think it might have been an Audi!

The connectors on those displays can be very very difficult. It may even be soldered straight to a board. As it's older it might be more primitive = easier. I tried to repair an old TomTom and the flat ribbon connector thing fell apart, and it wasn't a general type :(.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165404401138 would be worth a punt.

If you watch ALL the Wheeler Dealer episodes, one or two of those feature an LCD repair, but I can't remember if they had to just replace it...
I think it might have been an Audi!

According to google it was Season 11 episode 10
They had an Audi TT with a dodgy display, though like you i dont recall how they fixed it, but they often show the name of the place where they take things
Seems you need a prime membership to watch it

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
According to google it was Season 11 episode 10
They had an Audi TT with a dodgy display, though like you i dont recall how they fixed it, but they often show the name of the place where they take things
Seems you need a prime membership to watch it
Well found!

They go round and round and round on our Quest (free) channel until we delete them. I'll see if it's there. They're only watchable from the store where you can skip the 5 minute adverts!

Audi TT sounds right but I think there was something else, somewhere...

Just found the Audi displays a fiver each in China, so method probably not applicable, they would have just swapped it.

Back