Can anyone help me work out what is happening here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pics for reference

https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/paint-mismatch-any-ideas.26510/

Apprantly the builders used dulux trade supermatt, to which i have tried to use retail, dulux matt paint, colour wise they match perfectly, although my new matt paint is very rough in comparison, hence why i was hoping to avoid doing the whole wall, but leads me to believe it is infact a different paint?

It is only when the light catches it on the angle that the marks are clearly visible. dulux said it might be soft sheen or eggshell that had been used originally? another said that it seemed like a leyland undercoat was used and that is making the new matt paint stand out?

Any ideas folks?

img_4413.101675
img_4412.101674

Sponsored Links
Supermatt has a low acrylic content, the dulux matt has more acrylic and thus is very slightly shinier. IIRC ssupermatt is only available in BS (British Standard) white, your tin of matt may be brilliant white.

I seldom use supermatt, although it is much faster to work with it is impossible to clean if it gets marks. I am happy to use it on ceilings, people seldom ever clean those but I don't want clients complaining about newly painted walls being filthy after a month of two.

You will either need to buy some supermatt or paint the whole wall with two coats of something more durable- sorry. One advantage of the supermatt is that it is less easy to see spots that are touched up.

I bought some supermatt, did the entire hallway, does look better now, bigger roller, not foam this time too

but being so hot, albeit less so, im still getting lines where the wet edge is drying too quick, anything i can add to the paint to stop it being touch dry within minutes?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back