Can anyone identify this lighting control/component?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was helping out at the local church doing a bit of relamping when I noticed this green unit, and was just curious as to what it was.
There are atleast 2 bulkheads outside(2 x 8watt) that seem to be controlled by this unit, they both have photocells in them, these photocells seem to be wired back to this green unit.
Is it just a contactor/relay that pulls in when the timeclock beside it tells it to.
Anyone any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is standard Royce Thompson photo cell control unit ... as used in millions of lamp columns.

It is a kind of relay which is activated, as you guessed, by the photo cells connected to it. The switch allows the cells to be bypassed to test the lamps.

At a guess, it is wired with the timeclock such that the photocell turns the lamps on at dusk & the timeclock turns them off at say midnight.

Royce THompson P42 style two part photocell. Zodion also make one very similar and if I'm correct will put into the THompson base

Sponsored Links
If you need a replacement controller or cell eye let me know i have plenty in my stock pile.
good tip if you want to test the controller is working is to disconnect one of the leads off the cell eye, if the controller is working you will hear a click and the power will be going to the load.
The old type are thermal with a bimetallic strip inside, the new type the P42-E are electronic and need a link fitting in the base to work.

If you need a replacement controller or cell eye let me know i have plenty in my stock pile.
good tip if you want to test the controller is working is to disconnect one of the leads off the cell eye, if the controller is working you will hear a click and the power will be going to the load.
The old type are thermal with a bimetallic strip inside, the new type the P42-E are electronic and need a link fitting in the base to work.

Thanks for the offer, appreciated but it is working fine so far, I was just curious as to what it does as I've not saw them before.
Cheers.

It should really be in some sort of enclosure, I think the wires to the photocell (two on the front in terminal block) have mains on them. The other wires will be mains and are unsheathed.

It should really be in some sort of enclosure, I think the wires to the photocell (two on the front in terminal block) have mains on them. The other wires will be mains and are unsheathed.

If you look to the rhs of the unit there's an 8 legged resident supervisor :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back