Can anyone tell me exactly what this is under a manhole cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20221022_175505~2.jpg

A property in looking at has three manhole covers together which didn't add up to being any of the usual things.

On lifting one of the manhole covers, I could see this on the wall inside.

I am presuming that they are mains electricity supply lines?

If they are...

Does the utility company need vehicular access to these? It would pedestrian access suffice?

If required in the future, could a domestic supply be added to this (obviously by the correct people)

Sponsored Links
Three phase electrical supply.

Was this formerly an industrial or agricultural site?

Three phase electrical supply.

Was this formerly an industrial or agricultural site?
Agricultural but no buildings near here. Closest buildings are a few fields away in 4 directions.

"Does the utility company need vehicular access to these? It would pedestrian access suffice?"

Ask them, it's impossible to know on the info you have supplied. Someone. will probably need to do a site visit.

Sponsored Links
Agricultural but no buildings near here. Closest buildings are a few fields away in 4 directions.

Somebody has spent quite a lot of money putting that in.

They must have had a reason.

I've searched for planning permission but there has never been any applications according to the portal.

There used to be some kind of building in the neighbouring field. It shows up on historical maps but not on anything post 1950.

There are three of these manhole covers in a row. I only lifted the right hand one but I could see the cables sent straight down into the ground below and through to the middle manhole cover.

All interesting, I take it that a connection could be restored to it at some point in the future if required? Would it have to be 3 phase? Or can they supply single phase 240v from that?

a connection could be restored to it at some point in the future
Perhaps.
All depends on what they are connected to (if anything), and if they are connected, what voltage they are.

Contact the network operator to find out.
The number to call is 105.

Certainly fits being a three phase mains supply, the colour's are correct. But what are those fittings on the end? I've never seen anything like that before. The way the bright metal tapers down to the fitting, could it be hoses, hydraulic or some such?

Are the 3 manholes fairly close to each other and in an area of paving slabs of possibly a concrete surface?

Photos of the area around, including gates and fences would help

Are the 3 manholes fairly close to each other and in an area of paving slabs of possibly a concrete surface?

Photos of the area around, including gates and fences would help
IMG_20221022_174903.jpg
The three of them are all on the top of that. They are basically touching each other they are that close together. The two outer covers are those heavy concrete ones. The centre one is a metal cover with CEGB written on it.

I have found that CEGB stands for Central Electricity Generation Board. Basically the National Grid from a few years back.

When I took that photo, I'm stood on a gravel track suitable for driving along. There is a gated access to the track 30m or so to the left of the photo.

After you go out of the track, you go on to a shared farm track which is only really suitable for 4x4 vehicles, this then takes you up to the road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back