Can I add a thermostat to an electric towel radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I have a thermostat attached to this radiator, or even a timer switch to replace the socket with?

I'm looking for a better solution than the on/off switch. My bathroom is constantly cold and I want to have some control over how much electricity I'm using...
20231121_105723.jpg
20231121_105716.jpg

Sponsored Links
I take it the switched fused connection unit is outside of the bathroom?

If so, it may be easy to fit a regulator above it.

These look similar to dmmer switches and they will decrease or increase the temperature of the towel rail.

I take it the switched fused connection unit is outside of the bathroom?

If so, it may be easy to fit a regulator above it.

These look similar to dmmer switches and they will decrease or increase the temperature of the towel rail.
Precisely, the switch is outside the bathroom. Do you mind sharing a link to one, as I don't know what to search for?
Do I add this, in addition to the existing switch?
How about a timer switch though? Is that possible?

You could a flat 1.0 mm2 3 core+earth (that's 4 wires in total) from the switch outside to the new regulator.

Can describe how to connect it all later, if you want to do it this way.

A timer is equally possible, and can be wired in the same manner as described above.

Sponsored Links
You could a flat 1.0 mm2 3 core+earth (that's 4 wires in total) from the switch outside to the new regulator.

Can describe how to connect it all later, if you want to do it this way.

A timer is equally possible, and can be wired in the same manner as described above.
Thanks. You mean like having an external wire that'll connect the timer and the fused switch? I have a toddler around and this may not be the best solution.
I wonder, can I replace the switch altogether with a timer switch? I do find some stuff on the internet, but not sure if they work in my case.

I did a Google for programmable thermostat with remote sensor, however most the sensors seemed to be for under floor heating so the floor does not get too hot.

I am sure they are made, but to get the timing and the remote in one sensor seems to be a problem.

I used thermostats to control my beer brewing which can handle 13 amp they are also used for reptiles, and can be bought as plug in devices, but it would mean two devices one for time and one for temperature.

When I get to PC I will see if I can find a link. With water easy fit a programmable TRV.

The Inkbird ITC-306 is a plug in thermostat with a sensor so sensor can be in bathroom but thermostat in the location where plugs are allowed. When I came to do beer the 306 was not around, so use an STC-1000 there are many more plug in devices 1700612392021.pngwhere the sensor is not part of the thermostat. This advert seems to do what you want but I can't find the current rating, and this is the problem, loads of devices where the sensor is battery powered so OK in a bathroom, but most seem to be limited to 3 amp. So not really suitable for a towel rail.

There are Specials designed for a towel rail note 800 watt only.

This is designed again for a towel rail however to work it would need to be in same room as towel rail.

This seems to show what you want
1700613577029.png
But £100 + £33 is an expensive method to control a towel rail, it would take many years to get that back in saved electric.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back