can I cut my stair newel post ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to remove the bottom half of the newell post to allow the opening up of the area beneath the stairs..it extends from the ground floor right up to the landing, will this affect the structure of the staircase ? ..thanks in advance
20200808_123138.jpg
20200808_123203.jpg
20200808_123144.jpg

Sponsored Links
you need to work out if transferring the load sideways from wall to wall and will it work i assume not as it looks about head height??

If the post is there you can be slmost certain that it was put in to carry a load. No joinery contractor I know of would waste money on an unnecessarly long newel

Of course you could always cut it out and wait to see if the stairs started to creak and droop over the next 12 months.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there there used to be a cupboard under the stairs/half landing which was removed to make space, leaving the newel as structural support.

Blup

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back