Can I fit recessed spotlights with no overhead access?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom is a loft conversion so there is no way I can get overhead access, well not easily anyway! But is it still possible to install recessed spotlights? If so which ones, and how do I do it? At the moment there are two lamps. I haven't started redecorating but it currently looks like this:

http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1695a5id.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you got any space to recess them? If thats the loft roof, then presumably the tiles are directly above?

I'd stick with surface fittings myself. :cool:

looking at that i'd board and plaster it then fit recessed light but thats the look i prefer. running wires before boarding

I think it will look good with recessed lights too but they seem to be a lot of work compared to normal fittings!

What exactly do you mean stuartturbo? You would add another sheet of plasterboard nailed to those wooden beams that are currently there putting all the wiring in place before hand?

In regards to space to recess, the roof comes to a point like normal roofs and this ceiling has been put in when it was converted so there should be loads of space above it I would have thought.

Sponsored Links
exactly what i mean I would add another sheet of plasterboard screwed/nailed to the wooden beams that are currently there putting all the wiring in place before hand. I am assuming that you want more lights than the current amount
If decorating has to be done and you want recessed lights its worth it

I'm not so bothered about the amount of light produced, I just think the recessed lights like really good! I'm not sure how many I would have yet?

Problem is my girlfriend likes those beams and I'm not sure if she would be too pleased if I said I was going to cover them.

AdrianB said:
In regards to space to recess, the roof comes to a point like normal roofs and this ceiling has been put in when it was converted so there should be loads of space above it I would have thought.

:D Ok. Tilted my head now. Can see what you mean. :oops:

AdrianB said:
Problem is my girlfriend likes those beams and I'm not sure if she would be too pleased if I said I was going to cover them.
Put new fake ones on top (or would that be underneath?) They would also be a good way to cover the plasterboard fixings and joins, then you could just paint and not have to have a skim coat put on.

I'm considering covering the old beams now if I have too and not replacing them as long as it doesn't effect the value of the place?

Personally I think fitting a new ceiling would be too much for me to do. Any idea of cost for this? Also how many lights would I need?

Just to confirm there is no way of fitting recessed lighting into the ceiling as it stands to reduce costs?

can you cut yourself a small access hole so you can see what is above?

Just make yourself a loft hatch at one end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back