can i fit this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have an old gas back boiler that is gravity fed for hot water and pumped for central heating. the hot water is getting 2 hot. i had a look and theres not stat on the hot water tank. i have a room stat that turns off the boiler and does the timeing. i want to know if i can fit a hot water tank stat that will turn a motorized valve so the hot water will stop heating? if i can do i need to use a three port one so i can divert the flow back to the tank or can i just put it to stop ?? the pump is alway on when the boilers running.

Sponsored Links
If the pump is always on when the boiler is running it must be inconvenient in Summer when you only want DHW.

A fully pumped system with a 3-port valve will give you much more control and might also save a bit of money on fuel.

So there's the cost of a valve and a cylinder thermostat, plus a bit of re-plumbing and re-wiring. Plenty of help here if you are into DIY.

Just do as namsag said, or convert to a 'C' Plan.
Google it.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Upgrading to a y-plan or s-plan with a completely independent timer will drastically improve the performance, and save you money on the gasbill

Whatever you do, the vent from the boiler to the pipe above the F&E tank must remain open all the time!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back