Can I have 2 consumer units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for the potentially dumb question; If I need a 20 way cu, is it possible to buy two 10 ways? Is there a permitted way to split the feed? I ask because smaller CUs are available locally, 20 way are not

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Henley block.

Just make sure they're fire proof.

Oh wait, they're not switchgear so you don't need to bother. It's only switchgear which have poor connections and spontaneously combust all the time. Junction boxes are immune, because LFB say so.

Last edited:
Heh, yes.. I hope I'm not still building when Amendment 4 is issued, banning plasterboard pattress boxes and mandating galv..

LFB have a nice website you know, that has fire stats on. 21500 fires a year*, and the statistical rise that caused the concern that led to Amendment 3?
150 fires

Woo

*some of these are outdoor or vehicle

Henley block.
Or if you can distribute the loads suitably, you could use an MCB in the first unit as a sub-feed to the second unit. That might even save on cable runs for branch circuits if it means you can locate the second unit at some other location nearer to the loads it serves.

Sponsored Links
you can also get tap offs that fit the board, they look like mcbs but are straight through connecters that take 25mm cable, using one of them would keep the main switch for "one single point of isolation"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back