Can I just replace this with a blanking plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a heater in the airing cupboard (see attached image). It's never used and is pretty ugly. I want to remove it, so is it safe to replace what's there with a 1 gang blanking plate?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20180529-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20180529-WA0007.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 381
Sponsored Links
You can do, but why bother? ....
Indeed, particularly since I suspect it's the heater, rather than the FCU, which the OP finds ugly (and space occuying).
... Where is it? What about fitting a socket if the circuit is suitable?
It's in an airing cupboard - so, although it might well be useful in other locations, I rather doubt that a socket there would be of much practical value. However, unless the OP finds the FCU to be aesthetically offensive, it would be simpler to just leave it there (with the heater disconnected), rather than having to terminate the cable in something before fitting a blank plate.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you decide to put a socket on instead, check that the supply is RCD protected- you may find that the FCU used to feed an immersion heater in a hot water cylinder, the cylinder got the bullet when a combi boiler was fitted and someone put that tube heater in to keep the airing cupboard warm.

- you may find that the FCU used to feed an immersion heater in a hot water cylinder, the cylinder got the bullet when a combi boiler was fitted and someone put that tube heater in to keep the airing cupboard warm.
A very common way of doing things for people who are used to having an airing cupboard and feel they cannot live without one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back