can I put a PIR behind frosted glass or plastic?

mgx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to avoid putting unsightly alarm PIR detectors's up on internal walls as part of a refurb, and trying to see what the options are. There are small compact PIR's, but I'd prefer to avoid those as well. I also have the same problem with smoke detectors. Is it possible for me to put a recess (e.g. standard electrical socket depth, but perhaps the size of 2 x 2 gang sockets) up on the wall, then mount the smoke dectector and the PIR in it, and put a frosted glass or plastic cover over (the cover would be larger than the size of the recess, and would actually sit about 5-10mm out from the wall, so there will be air gap allowing the smoke detector to work. In the same recess, for one of the rooms, I'd also be mounting a wifi-antenna (repeater). Would this work? How has anyone else solved this problem?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, good replies. The property is a flat, with another above, and we don't plan to put a false ceiling in (in fact, removing one that is there), which negates any ceiling mounted options. Perhaps I just need to stick with small sensors (e.g. I was looking at texecom prestige compact).

Sponsored Links
Also, smokes are supposed to be mounted on a ceiling fairly central, aren't they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back