Can I put sockets on a redundant shower radial circuit?

Hi,

I would like to put one, maybe two sockets in my loft.

We used to have an electric shower in the bathroom but have since changed to a mixer shower. The cabling is still there, going into the pull-cord switch on the bathroom ceiling; it is on an independent 40 amp radial circuit.

Move the switch to beside the loft hatch and use it as an isolator.
This will be a convenient place to terminate your 2.5mm or 4mm cable.

But from what you are writing here I do't think your competant to do this work and for your safety and protection advise you to use a proffessional.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not with the odds being offered.

I like the bit about "being notifiable" before you start and the comment
"I have opened up the consumer unit (after turning all electric off of course), a question I have regarding this is - the current 40amp breaker that I need to replace just has a brown wire going into it, compared to numerous red and brown wires going into the other breakers "

Talk about not being even remotely qualified to do this, as for the testing :D[/quote]

I was merely suggesting to do the wiring myself, the easy part, using advice given on here - let's not forget this is a DIY forum. I would then get my friend (yes he does exist, can't imagine why I would need to lie) to test it all before the circuit is used, thus speeding up the process.

He should be there to supervise as he will sign to the effect " the works he has carried out and tested"

No doubt someone can get the exact wording.

I was merely suggesting to do the wiring myself, the easy part, using advice given on here - let's not forget this is a DIY forum. I would then get my friend (yes he does exist, can't imagine why I would need to lie) to test it all before the circuit is used, thus speeding up the process.

As you observe we have the doubts , this is because we see it time and time again.

Then 2 days later there's a new thread saying since my electricion friend did this... that doesn't work.. [usually where there's more than 2 wires like on lighting circuits]

A) If the wiring part is so easy, why do you need to ask?
B) Why did you not ask your electrician for the advice, or at least ask him first then come here for a second opinion if you had some doubts?
C) You should not be opening your CU, you are not qualified and
I know I need a 20amp type B breaker which I have bought. I have opened up the consumer unit (after turning all electric off of course), a question I have regarding this is - the current 40amp breaker that I need to replace just has a brown wire going into it, compared to numerous red and brown wires going into the other breakers - I assume this is because the 40amp breaker is on a radial circuit and the other breakers are on ring circuits? - So is it a case of simply taking the brown cable out of the 40amp breaker and putting it into the new 20amp breaker?
indicates to me you come across as not competent so do so.

I need to ask because I like to be sure and, when I am sure, the physical task involved with wiring is easy.

I wanted clarification from this site, that my intentions were possible, before hassling my friend.

I may not be qualified to open up a CU, but I'm smart enough to make sure all electric is turned off before I do so.

I know you guys are only looking out for people like me, which I appreciate, but if I was as incompetent as you all make out, I doubt I would have come here for advice in the first place.

I may not be qualified to open up a CU, but I'm smart enough to make sure all electric is turned off before I do so.
Where did you turn the electricity off before you opened it up?

As we keep saying this work is notifiable and if your electrician friend is registered to notify his own work then his scheme providers would not look kindly on what you are asking him to do.
As people on this site have already said, if your friend exists then ask him - he is the one who will be signing the electrical installation certificate - you know similar to the one you got for the rewire - to say he designed installed and tested the circuit.

I need to ask because I like to be sure and, when I am sure, the physical task involved with wiring is easy.
yes within reason
I wanted clarification from this site, that my intentions were possible, before hassling my friend.
Yes and you got that very quickly
so out of curioity where did you turn off all the electric?
or even electricity
I know you guys are only looking out for people like me, which I appreciate, but if I was as incompetent as you all make out, I doubt I would have come here for advice in the first place.
Possibly so but what you are now telling us is that you are designing and installing circuits, oh and then getting someone in to put his name on some paperwork to say that he has designed, installed and certified it as correct and safe.
Running the cable for him is one thing but altering whats inside a CU is a whole different ball game.
edit
By the way how did you establish that you needed a B20 MCB?

Good question River.
I must learn to type and reply quicker.

let's not forget this is a DIY forum.
And let's not forget that DIY electrical work MUST be done to the same standards as professional.

I would then get my friend (yes he does exist, can't imagine why I would need to lie) to test it all before the circuit is used, thus speeding up the process.
1) It doesn't work like that.

2) You don't appear to have a problem with lying, because if you're telling the truth you're expecting your friend to lie for you on official documentation, including covering up your criminal acts.

I know I need a 20amp type B breaker which I have bought. I have opened up the consumer unit (after turning all electric off of course), a question I have regarding this is - the current 40amp breaker that I need to replace just has a brown wire going into it, compared to numerous red and brown wires going into the other breakers - I assume this is because the 40amp breaker is on a radial circuit and the other breakers are on ring circuits? - So is it a case of simply taking the brown cable out of the 40amp breaker and putting it into the new 20amp breaker?

You've fired up everyone's favourite debate on this forum, and you may as well give up now, but for what it's worth here's an answer to your question.

The reason you have different colours going into the different MCB's is most likely because the circuits were wired at different times. Pre-2004 domestic wiring colours for standard T&E (Twin & Earth) were red (live), black (neutral) and a bare copper wire for earth that should be sleeved in green and yellow. Newer colours are brown (live), blue (neutral) and same for earth. There are even older variations, but rarely encountered now.

In 2004 we harmonised with Europe (so fixed wiring became the same colour as the wires you will have seen if you've ever wired a plug). They became compulsory to use from 2006. If your house was re-wired 5 years ago, I'm surprised you're not completely on the new colours.

You should have a yellow sticker on your CU that warns that both variants of wiring are used, and that basically you should be careful!

By now, I guess you've figured this out and you're probably not dead. Hope it all works.

The reason you have different colours going into the different MCB's is most likely because the circuits were wired at different times. Pre-2004 domestic wiring colours for standard T&E (Twin & Earth) were red (live), black (neutral) and a bare copper wire for earth that should be sleeved in green and yellow. Newer colours are brown (live), blue (neutral) and same for earth. There are even older variations, but rarely encountered now.

In 2004 we harmonised with Europe (so fixed wiring became the same colour as the wires you will have seen if you've ever wired a plug). They became compulsory to use from 2006. If your house was re-wired 5 years ago, I'm surprised you're not completely on the new colours.
I'm surprised your surprised - given the nature of the responses the OP has given and the usual my friend the electrician is , out of town, on holiday, too busy, unavailable on the telephone etc etc - and I don't want to bother him until I know all the facts - then I will just get him to sign it of - Part P, Building Regs, notification absolutely no problem....... eh what are they?
Nevermind the lack of any certificates or evidence of testing from the 'alleged' rewire 5 years ago put further into doubt by the rainbow of colours in his CU.
While I am more than happy to help any diyer with electrical problems, that help stops abruptly when the less than competent diyer starts messing with contents of the CU especially, as in this case, when there is the lack of response to the question, how did you 'turn the electric off'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back