Can I re use the copper sump washer during an oil change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm just looking to do a DIY oil change but been struggling to find the right size washer for the sump, can I use use the old copper one?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm just looking to do a DIY oil change but been struggling to find the right size washer for the sump, can I use use the old copper one?
thanks
Yeah. I’ve done thousands of oil changes. Only changed about ten in that time. if you’re a bit concerned, heat it red hot and drop it in some water. That’ll soften it.

Yeah. I’ve done thousands of oil changes. Only changed about ten in that time. if you’re a bit concerned, heat it red hot and drop it in some water. That’ll soften it.

I agree. They sometimes supply them with the filter, oil kits, but I have never worried if not supplied - just reuse the original one.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to quench it, just let it cool whilst you have a coffee.

Just be careful, if annealing the washer, if you're not used to it. There's not long between them going bright red and melting! Best done in dim light. You only need to get it dull red for a second or so.

My car has an aluminium, rather than copper sump washer. It's 33 years old now, and getting a bit thin...!

For the price of sump washers it's not worth risking it if you are unsure.

Not difficult to get hold of

For anyone else searching this thread I can confirm 5 days and 60 miles later no leaks :)

Sponsored Links
Back