Can I Rewire My Own home? I own it.

• Thread starter llewellyn63
  • Start date
L

llewellyn63

What I mean is but all the cables in and new back boxs for sockets and lights in only :!:
no shower / cooker / heater its all gas.

I want to fit them all to new regs 450mm to 1200mm? is this right?? for new builds? i am not a new build but still want it with in that.

I do know what cable is needed for lights, sockets, smoke alarms and so on then get a electrical engineer in to wire them all up and fit a new rcd consumer unit and do the test.
I do earth 10mm cables to water and gas too.
:?:

Sponsored Links
You would be strongly advised to find an electrician who is prepared to work on this basis, and agree with him how much of the work he is happy for you to do under his supervision and guidance, and to ask him to tell you what to do, not us, as he is the one you'll be expecting to sign a certificate to say that everything, design and construction as well as testing, complies with the Wiring Regulations.

Also this work is notifiable, so unless it is actually done by an electrician who can self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations then you will have to apply for Building Regulations approval in advance, and part of that will entail describing to the council how you will ensure that the work complies with Part P. If you are going to do that you need to find out from your council how they deal with DIY work, and what arrangements they will expect you to make, or pay them to make, for inspection and testing.

After April 6th this year there will be a 3rd option of engaging a registered 3rd-party certifier, but again this must be in advance, there aren't any yet, nobody knows how it will work in practice and nobody knows what it will cost.

You say "I do know what cable is needed for lights, sockets, smoke alarms and so on", but I think you are misguided in that. You may think you know, but given your other questions I can guarantee that you have no idea how much there is to know.

After April 6th this year there will be a 3rd option of engaging a registered 3rd-party certifier, but again this must be in advance, there aren't any yet, nobody knows how it will work in practice
I'll hazard a guess, badly
and nobody knows what it will cost.
Crystal ball time again, a lot! Gotta cover the scam scheme fees as a basis, then extra scam scheme fees as a 3rd party assessor.

Actually, no guess work there. Purdy ferkin obvious I'd say.

Sponsored Links
I am looking for points of views on what I am going to do thats all.
thanks for link to legal requirements.
I am not miss misguided my friend is a part p electrician :D , he will keep me right on what to do and what I need, as it turns out all I be doing is what he tells me, plus I go work with him on weekends from time to time when he needs a hand with this and that and I pick things up.

If you have a friend that is a part p approved electrician, I would assume he has all the knowledge you require and you should be picking his brains for advice.
There is quite a lot to take in when it comes to circuit design, selection and erection, if it is not your field of employment.

*Demand of circuit
*Selection of protective device
*Reference method
*Voltage drop
*Correction factors
*External influences
*Selection of cable
*Permitted safe zone of cables
*Chase depths regulations
*Holing of joist regulations
*Clipping distances

Not suggesting this is beyond your knowledge or that you cannot research and become aware of what is required.
But be aware of these requirements and comply to them.

Even though you will be having gas appliances, they will require an electrical feed to operate ignition, fans, electrical clocks/timers and program controls.
I am looking for points of views on what I am going to do thats all.
If you can offer a direct question or questions with regards to this statement, we can offer advice, just too vague to be able to, as you have not really asked a question.

Other than the requirements for bonding of gas and water services, and yes installing 10mm CSA to the incoming metal services, using a BS951 clamp, 16mm CSA for earth conductor, are standard procedures within domestic dwellings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back