CAN I RUN A TELEVISION FROM A CEILING LIGHT ROSE

Sorry to say steve, you are wrong.

If it is an LCD or Plasma, as we are led to believe, the tranny in these is bound to trip a B6 on switch on. It reallly is.

He does also say he is going to use a round pin unfused socket, which is better than fitting a 13amp to the circuit, but still a rubbish design for a TV.

13amp sockets on a lighting circuit is an awfull circuit design - a DIY bodge.

Lectrician,

Just tried a 17in LCD, with DVD Player also Digibox, all lights on upstairs, total load not including TV 3A.
6A B Type Mcb, TV operates no problem!!!!!

Good for you - glad you had the spare time.

I can assure you some, if not most larger LCD and Plasma TV's will trip a B6.

Been there, seen it.

Someone fitted screens to a huge clothing outlet. 2 LCD's on a lighting cct. Turning the lights on (yep, a few flourescent too) tripped a B10!

My lounge TV also causes my light to dip when first turned on. It is on the ring, as you would expect. I would put money on it tripping a B6 if I tried.

END OF STORY - A 13amp socket on a 6amp circuit - COMPLETE BODGE!

Sponsored Links
Many years ago my brother went to university in Newcastle.

The hall of residence he was in tried to limit the amount of electricity used by installing three pin 2 amp sockets instead of 13 amp.

My father made him up an extension lead with a 2 amp plug on one end and two x two amp three pin plus one x 13 amp sockets on the other so he could run a kettle in his room. Never tripped the breakers.

Just shows what people will do and what you have to prepare for.

Hi
I haven't seen a 5a 2 pin socket outlet since I was a small boy about 55 years ago when it was the nom to plug the iron into the light pendent with an adaptor.
How things have changed .
I even remember removing capping and casing during my apprenticeship.
But even then all installation work was carried out to the 11 edition and safe installation was the norm and was drummed into you when you did city & guilds a b &c certificate

Sponsored Links
thats a cool idea, being able to switch telly off as u leave the room, a lot of the time the blue sunshine is the only illumination some rooms get.

b/:cool:

"How big a kettle was it?"

About a foot tall ;)

Standard kettle probably 2kw. Actually in the days when kettles were wider than they were tall.

Trying to move you towards the correct way, via a 13a socket and ring.

What's on the otherside of the wall to the TV position? if it's another room, might you be able to take a spur from a socket that is in that room?

Although modern flat screens (most betweein 250w and 500w) have a lower amp use than CRT TV's I concur with the concencious that taking a feed from the lights is not good practice.

I'm surprised you are going against the sound professional judgement that makes up the majority of posts against this topic.

As a lesser evil I would even suggest a low rated fuse spur run from the immersion heating circuit in the 1st floor airing cupboard up to the loft void and through the ceiling to the TV location. No a perfect solution, but better than the one you are going to carry out :rolleyes:

agreed.cant believe some people on here are saying its ok,knowing your going to use it for a telly

agreed.cant believe some people on here are saying its ok,knowing your going to use it for a telly

Chri5, hit the nail on the head when he said it's not good practice.

However forget the word lights, it's a 6A circuit, and providing the correct cabling is used in accordance with the fuse protection everything is safe and complies with the regulations, the regulations do not tell you what and not to plug-in to a 2A or 5A socket.

As previously mentioned in an earlier post, in the 60's you could by adaptors that fitted into the ceiling pendant lamp holder converting to a 2 Pin Socket people used for Irons and all sorts.

IT'S NOT GOOD PRACTICE, and I would never consider doing it for a customer, but it will not fry the house, as posted.

As previously mentioned in an earlier post, in the 60's you could by adaptors that fitted into the ceiling pendant lamp holder converting to a 2 Pin Socket people used for Irons and all sorts.

And why do you think you can't buy them anymore?

And why do you think you can't buy them anymore?

Who say's you can't buy them anymore ????
Go to any hardware store in Spain, Greek Islands, Cyprus and many more :D :D :D :D :D

I have one that converts an Edison Screw into a 13A socket.

Came as part of a travel adaptor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back