Can I / should I go to hospital?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I may have broken my thumb whilst working today.

Normally in the old days I’d have popped along to the minor injuries unit at my local hospital to have it checked over. They’ve always been really great there on the few occasions I’ve visited.

Given the current situation, am I still allowed to turn up without pre booking an appointment? I can’t see anything to say that I can’t.

More to the point, would you? I’m concerned about the very high infection rate in my area and spending time in a hospital with potentially ill people, and whether it’s worth the risk as I don’t know that there’s actually much they can do to help me.

Sponsored Links
A picture would help. If it needs splinting you need to get it looked at otherwise mobility could be impacted.

if it’s straight and has good colour, then ibuprofen, rest ice and elevation.

You can and you should go. Your thumb is important. A&E do what they can to protect against covid. The rest is down to you. Take a spray with you to wipe seats etc.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local minor injuries is closed due to the rona (I found this out recently, while bleeding and needing stitches). If this is also the case with yours, they'll direct you to an open a& e.

Sponsored Links
Of course you should go. Thing is, though, whther or not you can actually find a doctor, nurse or anyone else willing to treat you unless you have covid. I would go get a covid test. Seems like everyone who has a test is diagnosed with covid. You will okay then.

Of course you should go. Thing is, though, whther or not you can actually find a doctor, nurse or anyone else willing to treat you unless you have covid. I would go get a covid test. Seems like everyone who has a test is diagnosed with covid. You will okay then.

They would do a covid test there

Ring the non emergency NHS number 111 the fact you have had time to post on here and think about it clearly not an emergency. They will probably book you a next day doctors appointment.

The remaining minor injuries unit round here seemed pretty well set up in these Covid times when I took my boy in recently, separate entrance/exits, seats spaced miles apart, evidently a good cleaning regime in place, receptionist booking people in an ice cold bitch (actually she was like that before) so get yourself along. I rang up to book before turning up but people were just turning up.

Next week tying shoelaces.

It's the National Health Service, not the National Coronavirus Service.
Get yourself to a walk in centre or a&e asap.
An untreated broken thumb can cause a severe disability.
If they refuse to see you, get their name and ask for their gmc number so to report them.
Usually as soon as you ask they change attitude.
Failing all of this, take down in a diary names, times, dates and locations and possibly videos/audio recording.
Go private and then charge the NHS (NCS) for it.
They usually refuse your claim at first, then when they receive a mcol notification they give in and pay.
I have only done it once in normal times pre scamdemic, but my neighbour went to a private hospital to continue her cancer treatment and got all of the money back, thousands of pounds.
As soon as they paid up, she was back in the care of the NHS, pardon, the NCS.

From recent experience don't be worried about going in to an NHS facility...

IMO you're more likely to be at risk at your local 'express' store than a hospital or doctors surgery as they tend to have dedicated 'virus' wards and distancing elsewhere in said facilities is much better.

Definitely go, with an FP3 mask and plenty of hand gel.

As said above your thumb is very important, particularly in your trade.

Blup

Last edited:
A&E departments are open for everything bar minor ailments such as a cold or gippy tummy. You will probably find it is quite empty and you will not wait too long for treatment. Our local hospital is very, very covid aware and they follow all protocols to the letter. You will go in one way and around their one way system, (unlikely to come out the same place you went in), and you will have to go in on your own. As said, a broken thumb can lead to disability in later life and if not treated, or at least assessed, can leave you with a lot of problems.
As an example, many years ago one of my aunties broke her big toe and didn't get it seen to. She eventually developed gangrene and lost the lower half of her leg.

Probably the best time to go to A&E right now. I bet you’re not waiting long either.

Go to hospital, you'll probably find it quite empty.

0CDE2A99-91F2-4772-B6BA-193DC39F102F.jpeg

Left vs right

Sponsored Links
Back