Votes: 17 85.0%
  • go

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im an acting manager of a warehouse in N Wales. Just had a new lad start with us. He's about 18, looking for a rent and beer money job. Can't fault the work he does (order picking/packing, tidying etc..) considering he's only been with us a few days.

Problem is: He literally will not stop talking! If I go anywhere near him, he starts babbling away like a deranged monkey! I've heard all about his brothers and sisters, the time he went to Eqypt with his family, I know the names of all his old pets as well as how long it takes him to go for a 'No.2'.....(he told me. 'do I think this is too much time'?) It's seriously got to the point where i have to go and hide at lunchtime so I can have some peace for 1/2 hr!

I have mentioned to him that he 'talks like an old woman on speed' and 'does he ever shut up'; all to no avail! He's harmless enough, as well as possibly being a few steps down from borderline 'learning disabled' (possible inability to develop social skills - nothing mentioned at interview or by the new guy), so I don't want to be mean to the guy.

Anyway. Boss wants a report from me on how the guys coming along. Like I said, can't fault his work but he's driving me nuts! It's a really small team at the warehouse (me + 1 other bloke who's off ill). It'll be pretty much my reccomendation that sees this guy stay or go.

What do i do? Bin a decent worker and risk winding up with someone who may not talk but works crap? Or stick with it but stay away from pointy objects.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Eccentrics should be tolerated as long as they get the job done :)

I think the lad could be nervous and trying too hard to be likeable, I don't know but a friendly word is the best way to start and see how it goes

Totally agree with masona. At 18, he probably has little or no social experience in a mature (hopefully!) working environment & is probably as nervous as hell, he’ probably just trying too hard. What you need to do is give him a little more time, help him relax & give him some positive advice rather than just hints!

Rather than trying to avoid him at lunch times, perhaps take him somewhere away from work where he can relax more; I’d say go for a pint but that’s probably PIC now! If he’s a good worker, you need to give him at least 2 weeks before deciding if he has to go or not.

Sponsored Links
everyone deserves a chance. You need to see through the babble that irritates you. Its your job as a manager to see what potential he has for the company and if he performs the role that he does to a satisfactory level, without causing disruption. Give him a chance and a bit longer. If his babble is effecting his work then you need to firmly and constructivley point it out and show him a way to improve.

There are plenty of lads out there who want work. I would rather employ one thats motivated and really wants the job (like this one seems to) rather than go through another 10 who are crap and cause you much more disruption than he does. No one is perfect at 18 when they come into the big wide world of work.

My appentice is worth his weight in gold. we forked out for some driving lessons for him the other week as a bonus. Last saturday having paid him overtime in advance for the day, and it being the day we were moving to a new premises, what does he do? Not turn up and as he was out at a mates house and overslept. At 10.30 standing in the pouring rain i would have sacked him. By the time i did ring and after several apologies, i had changed my mind realising i would go back to square one with somone else. STill he had a very very stern lecture and he thought he was going to be scaked. This week hes been just as good as he usually is. If id have sacked him on saturday who would have gained? He knows where he stands and that im no soft touch (hes paid for it this week!). Better the devil you know sometimes

Agreed ... Embrace difference ... The World would be such a boring place if we were all the same.

Would be good for Joe-90 though (assuming we were all English ;) )

After having my non-stop talking sister-in-law up for a week I say without reservation, he either shuts up or goes. I dont care how good he is at the job, if he does your head in like she did mine, (and my wife's), then he's got to go. On Saturday when we stayed in for the day she talked and talked from 10 in the morning until midnight. We couldn't call a halt. You can!

Set things as though you had a pnone in your lug ol'e, you know, ear things, an when he looks to mither (talk) put your finger to your lips,i'de get the message.

Thanks for all the replies!

Having read the first few posts yesterday, I decided to give the lad a chance.

Figured I'd tell the boss more about his good points (working) and less about his conversational carpet-bombing.

Figured he'd settle down in abit and end up an asset to the company....

Fat chance of that! :rolleyes:

Boss wandered through the warehouse at lunchtime and found new lad stuffing around £130 worth of MP3 players (ours) into his pockets! :evil:

Fired him on the spot.

Boss said afterwards that he had nothing to say for himself! :LOL:

"Can't fault the work he does (order picking/packing, tidying etc..) considering he's only been with us a few days."

That's what he should be judged on, nothing else!

Boss wandered through the warehouse at lunchtime and found new lad stuffing around £130 worth of MP3 players (ours) into his pockets! :evil:

Fired him on the spot.

Boss said afterwards that he had nothing to say for himself! :LOL:

Oh dear :evil: seems he wasn't worth the extra mile after all :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back