Can I spur a spur?

Just checked every socket in the house and they all only have one cable, and appear to all connect to a large junction (this could be the lights though, still investgating).

The consumer unit is an old style one with wired fuses, 3 x 15a 2x5a and 1x30a, I take out the 30a and non of the sockets work.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you could have a ring off the 30A fuse this would have been common practice when these type of boxes were first installed.
So that will lead to an additional problem regarding you extending the ring as of July 2008. All new circuits or addition to them should be RCD protected, with a spur it would be a matter of adding a RCD protected FCU.
but extending the circuit means protection will be back to the fuse box and that could become a little more complicated.

Thanks, that would explain why in the conservatory the spark rather than extending the ring added a new consumer unit with rcd protection.

Think I've over thought the problem the socket I wanted to spur from we don't use so I'm just going to move the whole thing into the utility room, the power cable runs through the room anyway so it'll just be a case of shortening it, is this acceptable and safe under the current regs.

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought it was like before investigation, turns out now that the 2nd socket is connected on it's own then the boiler spurs of this and the socket at the bottom is connected on it's own not un a ring, the se as all the sockets in the house.

The single socket, it'll just be a case of shortening the cable.
This should be okay providing the single socket is not a spur of a spur, that has not got a FCU from feed socket.
If it is a spur from a spur, who ever did it in the first place did it incorrectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back