Can I un-install my own gas cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of moving house and will be taking my freestanding gas cooker with me. I will obviously get it installed again at the other end by a corgi person, but can I disconnect it myself?

If this is possible, how is it done?

Ta

Andy

Sponsored Links
Gas work should only be undertaken by a competent person. So if you have to ask I think Not....... :rolleyes:

ChrisRoberts said:
Gas work should only be undertaken by a competent person. So if you have to ask I think Not....... :rolleyes:

prune unplugging a bayonet is not defined as "work"

you push it in and twist then pull (bit like a light bulb) ;)

Have a look round the back and see if it has a fat black rubber hose going into a brass fitting coming out of the wall or attached to a metal pipe.

Sponsored Links
Prune? Never been to a leaking bayonet fitting? If you don't know how to do it leave it alone. Gas go bang! :rolleyes:

It does have a fat black pipe coming from the cooker and attatching to a connector which is bolted to the wall.

I don't want to pay someone to come and do a job I could safely do myself, but I would like to know if it is safe to do myself, and if it is how?

Andy

As long as you leave it safe it is. (Sadly after all that money on acs) Check it's not leaking with some leak detector spray. If it is turn off the gas and call someone. goodluck.

(when you pull out the bayonet fitting the brass thing on the wall should automaticlally seal itself shut. you can give it a sniff and brush some water/fairy liquid mix over it to see if there is any leak as Chris has in mind. If there is, you can plug the cooker back in or turn it off at the meter while you call for help)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back