Can I use an expandable hose with a pressure washer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use an expandable hosepipe with a pressure washer, or is the pressure too high ?

I have a Bosch AQT 33-11 which has a maximum pressure of 110 bar

thanks !

Sponsored Links
I doubt you can use anything other than a pressure hose on the outlet side, be bloody dangerous if you did somehow manage to attach it.

do you mean on the feed side ? pressure washers do suck water in, but I doubt it is a greater suction than a typical mains pressure garden tap. I would try it and see, I don't think you can damage these things if they momentarily lose their water supply (do check with the manufacturer first though :))

As above.......it will last milliseconds if used on the outlet, pressure side - and the machine will pulse if it can't get enough incoming water.
These coiled or flat pack hoses do have their uses, but not in this situation.
John :)

I don't understand why it would be a problem to use one of those expanding shrinking hoses to supply a pressure washer (assuming that the OP wants to do that).

I am happy to be corrected but I assumed that the pressure washer just accepted whatever pressure it was being fed before then shooting it out at a higher pressure.

Sponsored Links
Pressure washers need a certain volume of water, rather than the pressure......if the water volume just isn’t there due to some restriction (hose) then they can become unhappy.
Obviously a tiny pressure washer may deal with that but anything more manly doesn’t like it!
Some machines with an in line pump can suck their water from a stream or whatever but the pipe used is often of a larger diameter......20mm being popular.
John

If you are talking of FEEDING the pressure washer with an expandable hose then, generally, yes you can. I have used one a number of times over that 4-5 years to feed my Karcher washer with no problems.
However, if you are talking of using one to feed the lance then the answer is an absolute NO!
The reason you have a heavy duty hose on the lance side is because of the pressure needed at the lance.

Can I use an expandable hosepipe with a pressure washer, or is the pressure too high ?

I have a Bosch AQT 33-11 which has a maximum pressure of 110 bar

thanks !

A pressure washer works using a lot of pressure, but not much actual water, so they use a quite narrow, but very strong hose to contain the extreme pressure. A garden hosepipe is completely the opposite, low pressure, but much more volume, so it would simply burst.

From the OP's initial post and quoting 110 bar pressure we can only assume they want to run pressure washer to lance which is a complete no no with anything other than high pressure hose.

Or they want to use it from the tap which is fine?.

OP here ... thanks for your replies.

Yes, it's wanted to go from the tap to the pressure unit, not from the unit to the lance

I've tried to use my petrol pressure washer fed from a coil type garden hose and it just won't have it.....it just stops and pulses so I guess it depends on the machine.
John :)

I always prime the pressure washer first before triggering the lance. I've seen people pulling the trigger while their spouse turns the tap on and they wonder why they keep getting short spurts of water and a horrible grating noise from the washer.

I always prime the pressure washer first before triggering the lance. I've seen people pulling the trigger while their spouse turns the tap on and they wonder why they keep getting short spurts of water and a horrible grating noise from the washer.

Me too. I connect the water, turn the tap on, with pump switched off I squeeze the trigger which then allows water at mains pressure to fill the washer, hose and out of the lance. Only then do I switch the pressure washer on. The motor then spins briefly, to build up pressure then stops until you press the trigger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back