Can I use existing cooker point for 7.2KW induction hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an existing cooker circuit with a cooker point which is run in 6mm cable and connected to a 32A MCB. I am having a new kitchen and therefore new oven and hob.

The oven i am planning to have is fitted with a plug and therefore I do not need the cooker point for the oven but I was planning on getting an Induction hob which has a FLC rating of 7200w.

will the existing cooker circuit be able to handle the hob or should I get it rewired in 10mm with a 40A MCB?

The cooker point has a socket at the moment but I do not need this so could get it changed for one without.

Obviously I would rather not have it rewired but if I need to do it I would get this done before the kitchen fitter comes.

Some more info, the 6mm cable from the consumer unit to cooker point is approx 8m and most of this is in a plasterboard to floorboard ceiling void, only 2-3m is under plaster in galvanised chanelling.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
7200W is under 32A (31.3) so no problem with a 32A supply. Any fixed item over 2.2 kW should have a dedicated supply so in theory oven, washing machine, tumble drier, and dishwasher should all have their own dedicated supply. In practice more normal to have a kitchen ring main.

However the oven should not be connected to general ring main as it takes so much current. But with kitchen only ring main likely OK.

As long as correct fuse/MCB is fitted really there is not a problem only effect would be to blow a fuse/MCB and the chances of all kitchen items all wanting max demand together is very small.

Thanks for your reply.

The cooker point is on a completely seperate circuit fed directly from the consumer unit on 6.5mm cable, so I guess I will be ok. I suspected it would be fine but wanted to check.

Thanks again.

7200W is under 32A (31.3) so no problem with a 32A supply. Any fixed item over 2.2 kW should have a dedicated supply so in theory oven, washing machine, tumble drier, and dishwasher should all have their own dedicated supply. In practice more normal to have a kitchen ring main.

However the oven should not be connected to general ring main as it takes so much current. But with kitchen only ring main likely OK.

As long as correct fuse/MCB is fitted really there is not a problem only effect would be to blow a fuse/MCB and the chances of all kitchen items all wanting max demand together is very small.

Sponsored Links
In a domestic kitchen a 32A cooker circuit can supply 15 kW of cooking appliances and a 13 A socket. Without the socket, it can supply up to 19 kW. Two appliances can be controlled by a single switch within 2 m of the appliances in the same room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back