Can I use my existing phone socket for ethernet connection?

Here we go again. You are not permitted to move the master socket from the wall (as he has done). You are allowed to remove the front of the master socket only.
No not here we go again, just correcting your missinformation.

Please explain how one is to route the extention cable through the aperture in the backplate without gaining access to the rear of said plate without removing said plate.

Sponsored Links
Here we go again. You are not permitted to move the master socket from the wall (as he has done). You are allowed to remove the front of the master socket only.
No not here we go again, just correcting your missinformation.

Please explain how one is to route the extention cable through the aperture in the backplate without gaining access to the rear of said plate OR without removing said plate.

My son in his house fitted a server in the loft and loads of LAN sockets, intention was to have no wireless, however so many items are not available in a wired version, my TRV heads can't be hard wired, my smart sockets can't be hard wired, and the list goes on, so even if I do like my son and hard wire loads of LAN sockets to a switch, (switch is one step better than hub, but not as good as a router) still need wifi.

sensible chap!

I hate Wi-Fi can'see' 18 Wi-Fi somewhere I live.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comment FrodoOne.
The simple fact is once a phone service is ceased, any service providers equipment left on site is no longer their property. Whether it could be recommissioned later is a different matter.
This is especially salient when someone buys a house and they don't require the equipment left behind by the outgoing resident. As such the new owner is perfectly at liberty to rip anything out and dump it.
In a neighbours house there were older style jack sockets in most rooms and cable clipped on just about any piece of skirting & architrave and a bellset about 250x200mm when they moved in. BT refused to come to the property without payment to provide the new service.
He removed the old stuff and I fitted a master socket at a cost of under £5 instead of their £129.99... and it's a neater job than he would have got from any of the providers.
In my previouse house there was a previous generation
shopping
wired directly into a junction box
s-l500.jpg
. Before any pedancy creeps in it was a telephone 706 and block terminal 52A. Well they came straight out, but in those days BT were not difficult to deal with and they came out to fit a
s-l225.webp
line jack 2/1A

He removed the old stuff and I fitted a master socket at a cost of under £5 instead of their £129.99... and it's a neater job than he would have got from any of the providers.
I did something similar (master socket from eBay). Sometime after, BT had to upgrade the socket (I think because of FTTC) and the guy took one look at it and said: "That's a tidy installation - I'm impressed."

Thanks for your comment FrodoOne.
The simple fact is once a phone service is ceased, any service providers equipment left on site is no longer their property. Whether it could be recommissioned later is a different matter.
This is especially salient when someone buys a house and they don't require the equipment left behind by the outgoing resident. As such the new owner is perfectly at liberty to rip anything out and dump it.

I disagree if the equipment was owned by someone who was not the previous house owner. Say, for instance, you bought a house and wanted to go all electric. Would you rip out and dump the gas meter?

Please explain how one is to route the extention cable through the aperture in the backplate without gaining access to the rear of said plate without removing said plate.

There is a cable exit at the bottom middle of the front plate which is intended for DIY install..
It probably wouldn't look neat though, but it does have the advantage of getting the front plate well out the way, to access the test socket etc

I disagree if the equipment was owned by someone who was not the previous house owner. Say, for instance, you bought a house and wanted to go all electric. Would you rip out and dump the gas meter?
Fortunately I know the difference between gas and telephone services and the legal side of both.

There is a cable exit at the bottom middle of the front plate which is intended for DIY install..
It probably wouldn't look neat though, but it does have the advantage of getting the front plate well out the way, to access the test socket etc
In a new build house the electrician provides the back boxes, conduit and the cables for all the internal parts of the telephone installation. This is where it gets a little vague, BT/OR amble up and decide to fit their frontplate to the house holders backbox and if the new owner is lucky also runs the cable in the householder conduit (vague bit is there is a very good chance the electrician will do all of this on behalf of the provider)

So let me get this straight... you are now saying the cable which is very neatly in the customers conduit (just like OP's) needs to have some sort of ugly hole drilled in the wall and backbox so the cable can can enter the customer plate (as we used to call it when these were first introduced) in some sort of loop incorporating slack to allow removal?

The original versions of these sockets came with instructions for the customer and included how to cable tie the cable to the customer plate for botton, side or rear entry. Accordingly BT were either; giving explicit permission to run the cable behind the master socket or they didn't know it was not permitted. I'll make the assumption it was the former.

My example was more for when it was surface mounted in an old house.

to be fair I’ve never seen it done that way!!
But noticed a few years ago there was a cutout for it and shown in instructions somewhere

https://images.app.goo.gl/bSQjdBZ3J3e9ieiD8
yes indeed and the originals had cutouts both sides too. I made my last post as a response to the pics in OP but I agree when it's surface mounted it's a whole different ball game and usually a bit (or even very) scruffy in comparison.

Last edited:
I did have a discussion with my provider, they said they were only responsible for the wiring up to the master socket, but did not have a master socket as shown it was
s-l500.jpg
type box. I had real problems getting the PostOffice to get there system working proper, with threats I would be charged if fault was on my side etc. Swapped to Sky and could not have been more helpful. Yes still OpenReach but Sky sent their own guy out first where the PostOffice sent no one.

Also after having the phone number from 1956 the PostOffice changed it, and when the house was sold, tried to charge me for a service they were not providing as prospective new owners had got talktalk installed, and phone number changed again without telling me.

It all started with the Coop who where doing the probate when mother died, and it seems in spite of my saying did not want services turned off, just transferring to my name, they cancelled the broadband. And knowing house to be sold, I would not agree to an 18 month contract.

Thanks Eric, the only bit I'll correct is the ringing current is AC not reversev polarity.

Correct. The original bells lacked the usual contacts, to make the 'clapper' chatter back and forth, as is usual on a DC bell.

Thanks for the tangent discussion about whether I am tampering with other companies properties in my own flat..
Anyway my final solution was to run a flat and thin ethernet cable along the skirting and ceiling to my router.. that works out fine and easier.
Thanks!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back