can i use the same chase for coax and ring main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it ok to run coax for my TV and T&E in the same chase within a wall?
if not how far appart should they be? i need to run both from floor to ceiling. I was thinking of using seperate conduit but in the same channel.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Same chase, separate conduit would be fine. Make sure you keep them apart as they enter and leave the chase by a minimum of 50mm to help protect against electrical interference.

regulations and electrical interference were my main concerns. 50mm appart will be enough?

50mm is the min requiried make sure to use good quality coax like CT100 to avoid any problems with digital tv signals.

Sponsored Links
Guys the 17th ed suggests 100mm of seperation between ELV signal cables such as telephone, TV and data and 230v.

If you use a decent screened cable such as solid foam co-ax (CF100?) there's no interference when run side by side without containment.

thanks for the useful info. I am considering two chases now as the required hole is getting quite large. Its just as easy to run them up seperate walls in my case.

If you use a decent screened cable such as solid foam co-ax (CF100?) there's no interference when run side by side without containment.

Even with screened cable it is still not advisable to run data and power side by side. Screening is a measure to reduce interference picked up by the cable, not eliminate it.

I'm not saying it wont work, I've seen it done (even with poor quality cable) down short wall chases from ceiling to floor and 99% of the time it's fine. However, if you get a spike from someone switching on/off a large appliance then you'll likely get some picture breakup for a second or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back