Can motion detection on CCTV trigger alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have decided to install Yale security system after when some teenagers were trying to break into my shed.

Apart from normal home security I wanted a system which will monitor movement in my garden and when motion is detected then it will start recording, inform me on the phone when I am away and trigger alarm (or I can trigger it manually from mobile phone)

Here is my current system details:

- Yale EF-KIT2 Easy Fit Telecommunicating Alarm

- Yale Smart HD720 CCTV Kit 2 Camera

- Yale EF-USBDVR Alarm/CCTV Adaptor

So far, I have managed to configure this system so it sends me email from CCTV when motion is detected in the garden. Alarm is not aware of this incident even when I have paired it correctly with CCTV system via Alarm/CCTV Adaptor (both PIR and Keyfob).

I have Yale CCTV application installed on my phone and I can see images through my camera when I am away but this application will not let me know about motion detection (strange).

I can arm and disarm the alarm using either DVR or CCTV application on my phone, which proves that Alarm/CCTV Adaptor is paired correctly with Alarm.

In description of Alarm/CCTV Adaptor it says that it can be used to arm and disarm the Alarm system, nothing about triggering alarm when motion is detected on camera!

My question is, is it that Yale CCTV cannot trigger alarm when motion is detected (through Alarm/CCTV Adaptor) and it was never designed to work like that? If that is true then I found it strange because it's pretty standard requirement from security systems I guess

Sponsored Links
That's the last thing you want to happen .... triggering an alarm from motion detection on a cctv system !

Sponsored Links
There is lots of settings in the way motion detection can be activated, like sensitivity and for how long motion needs to be active before it's triggered but I guess that this can still cause lots of fake alarms :unsure:
So the only solution for me is to put PIR sensor inside the shed (if it's not too far) or trigger alarm manually when camera will start sending me motion detection alerts
Let me know if there is anything else which I can do to secure bicycles in shed.
Thank you for your help!

I thought I was smart setting up email notifications for motion detection. I played with the settings thought I had it right still got 200-300 emails per day. Now imagine if that was an alarm going off instead of emails :confused:

Let me know if there is anything else which I can do to secure bicycles in shed.

Chain them to a ground anchor, chain through both wheels and the frame so all three parts are secured.

CCTV and remote alarms and all that sophisticated system does nothing to secure property, it is only a deterant. If the thieves are wearing balaclavas then identifying them may be impossible and the stolen items have gone...

I thought I was smart setting up email notifications for motion detection. I played with the settings thought I had it right still got 200-300 emails per day. Now imagine if that was an alarm going off instead of emails :confused:
If I will have 200 emails then I will disable them. I have about 20 per day now but I thought that this is down to setting which I am still investigating

I just fitted a wireless door contact to my shed door, Movement detection of CCTV systems are not very good at all especially for reliability. You need a system with things like intrusion detection/ line cross but even with then you will have a few false alarms.

Last edited:
20/30yrs ago I was fitting the very type of movement cameras that has been mentioned about here.

They were mostly looking at door handles and along external passageways, they worked extremely efficiently, many a person if interest would be found wandering, where they should not be.

If they are still manufactured, I don't know, they must be, just not working in that sort of environment any more.

They gave the usual picture as from any camera but there was a specific adjustable area that could be focused on the point of interest (door handle) etc and then triggering a warning signal that would then need to be actioned immediately. These cameras were only fitted at high security places that were 24hr manned.

Sorry BIANCO, I don't agree with your guesses about CCTV

Last edited:
You can look at changes with a given area on some cameras, and tune the percentage of change etc etc

however probably easier to do in a passageway or focused on a very small area, than the side of an house.

Best I have managed after tuning and fine tuning on the side of a house is about 30 emails a day on the worst day and 1 or 2 on a good day, but don't think its easy in an open area.

20/30yrs ago I was fitting the very type of movement cameras that has been mentioned about here.

They were mostly looking at door handles and along external passageways, they worked extremely efficiently, many a person if interest would be found wandering, where they should not be.

If they are still manufactured, I don't know, they must be, just not working in that sort of environment any more.

They gave the usual picture as from any camera but there was a specific adjustable area that could be focused on the point of interest (door handle) etc and then triggering a warning signal that would then need to be actioned immediately. These cameras were only fitted at high security places that were 24hr manned.

What do you mean guesses Iv fitted hundreds of CCTV systems and monitored CCTV systems from Xtralis, mobotix to all your new stuff like Dahua, Hikvision. I know how reliable motion detection is and outside in a open area with environmental factors the answer is not very. All you need is some rain and few bugs even if setup well it not reliable. Now in a sterile environment yes it's obviously going to do much better.

It does have its uses and yes if you have 24 guade just motoring the one specific site a few false alarms here and there won't be a problem. Also it can be very useful when it comes to searching through footage. But if you want it to do what the OP asked it's just not going to work, you will just start to ignore the activations.
Physical detection like beam detection, well setup external PIRs are far better. And like I said the analytic tools setup well can be quite effective. Intrusion detection for example where you can select a specific area and the size of the object moving in specific direction which would trigger an alarm.

From my experience of modern CCTV cameras and 1972's Plumbicon cameras and some knowledge of ANPR cameras I would agree with Bianco. Off the shelf domestic CCTV cameras will not provide reliable motion detection.

There is lots of settings in the way motion detection can be activated, like sensitivity and for how long motion needs to be active before it's triggered but I guess that this can still cause lots of fake alarms :unsure:
So the only solution for me is to put PIR sensor inside the shed (if it's not too far) or trigger alarm manually when camera will start sending me motion detection alerts
Thank you for your help!
Outdoor detector with recorded warning message. https://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/vx-402rec
https://www.smarthome.com/smartguar...n-sensor-led-light-with-camera-and-audio.html
Shed's door with local alarm.
Bicycle alarms.

Ispy allow you to select a specific area of the cameras view to actually watch within fine limits, allows you to set a percentage of change/ sensitivity and what to do when it is triggered. It can also watch multiple cams and will work with multiple cam models.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back