Can not find the correct door hinges...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

bit of a weird one.

I need hinges for my doors to go into my frame. The old hinges are ruined, paint all over them etc and just thought i would get new ones.

Measuring up it seemed like they are approx. 76 x 51mm which i can see is a standard size, they are like 80 years old (1930s house).

My issue occurs when I went out and bought some hinges from a store. On all the hinges i can see online in the main DIY stores, it seems the centre screw is offset to the outside of the hinge, whereas the ones on my door and frame are offset towards the inside of the hinge.

I am trying to locate the ones where the screw holes are offset inwards as i do not want to try patch all the screw holes on all doors and frames, and would rather just get the correct hinge.

Hopefully the attached picture explains the situation, new hinge middle hole = outwards, old hinge middle screw = inwards. Ignore the utterly awful paint on the frame and hinges lol, 80 years of a house without ever being stripped down has done that to them.

Thank you
Ji

Attachments

• IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Seems a pointless search, just tap a piece of wood in holes and use hinges you have.

Seems a pointless search, just tap a piece of wood in holes and use hinges you have.

Just thought it'll be a lot easier to just find the correct hinges and change them.
What would i use?

Drill out the holes the same size, and then stick in some dowels with some wood PVA glue? I am guessing they should be thicker than the screws themselves?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need to do anything with the old hole unless the new screw is partly in it.

If it affects your OCD rather than rush out to Waitrose for cocktail sticks, use whatever you have, cardboard, a plastic wall plug, whatever, even just screw the old screw in if there's room.

You don't need to do anything with the old hole unless the new screw is partly in it.

The new screw would slightly overlap the old one, so would be a big hole. I got some 6 x 30mm dowels from Screwfix.
Literally all the screws in this door frame are spinning haha, none are gripping into the wood so I'll just drill them out w a 6mm bit and hammer the dowels with wood glue, and make some new holes, & hopefully the new screws will grip in.

should work hopefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back