can someone please explain how to fit a drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit one of these as the original was in the (integral) garage and we have converted half of the garage into a room and the new floor covers it so there would be no access to it once the tiles are laid, I have extended from where the existing drain cock was with 15mm copper pipe to where the new wall has been built and now need to fit a new drain cock at this point so we have a lowest point to drain the system in the future in the back half of the garage.

I have bought one but it is just a brass fitting, the old one looked like it had been soldered in.

I presume it is the correct size for 15mm tube (see this link http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13349/Plumbing/Brassware/Drain-Cock-15mm-Type-B-Light-Pattern ) but it doesn't actually fit onto the 15mm pipe

It will fit into a straight coupling - do you use this to join to the tube and solder it, I only use pipe fittings with solder in them so will the straight coupling solder to brass?

Also, I see it has a rubber washer inside so I am concerned the blowtorch would melt the rubber washer, or do you dismantle it , solder it and then put it back together?

Sponsored Links
Also, I see it has a rubber washer inside so I am concerned the blowtorch would melt the rubber washer, or do you dismantle it , solder it and then put it back together?

Yes you have got it. :D

Sponsored Links
thanks bahco - I thought I had sussed it but felt unsure and believe it is always better to check than go ahead all ham fisted and create myself a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back