Can you colour paint Rubber EPDM roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In UK websites I don't find much information about this - or products for it: Can Rubber EPDM be colour painted?
Our extension has a dark grey rubber roof and it gets so hot during summer, I was thinking of painting it white to take the edge off.

In America apparently it is quite a common thing to do (according to the internet) and can find products, however cannot say the same for UK?

Has anyone done it, what products did you use?
The only info I found is that an acrylic paint should be used, made specifically for EPDM (no surprise there!)

Sponsored Links
I'd then rather up a couple of old white sheets, with stones placed along the border to keep them in place!

Sponsored Links
They recommend stones anyway so using white ones would be a good solution - especially if there's an upstand.

I used an angle trim with holes in as a edging strip that held back stones quite succesfully where the flat roof drained into the gutter.

Regards

Tet

sorry who would be recommending stones and what for?
I am talking ab out a rubber roof and not a bitumen roof?

Exactly,

Covering an EPDM roof with stones used to be a recommended installation method. Loose lay EPDM, glued at the edges and weighted down by stones.

I'm suggesting you putting decorative light-coloured stones on top of your EPDM roof to get the light reflectivity you requested. IMO trying to paint an extremely durable and flexible surface with any kind of paint is going to be a) difficult and b) will look dreadful in pretty short order

It can be done - https://www.rubberroofingdirect.co.uk/rubber-roofing/epdm/can-you-paint-epdm-rubber-roofing

Regards

Tet

Thanks Tet.
I just never heard or seen about rubber roofs being covered with decorative stones, however seen millions of bitumen roofs being covered with gravel, hence why my surprise.

Definitely good to know, will need to figure out if it is worth the hassle though, as it is a roof on the second story.
Thanks for clarifying!

It wont do jack. Painting flat roofs was done to protect the covering, not keep the roof cool.

BTW, will the roof be extra cold in the winter! :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back