Can you have a socket on a 20A ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new house and realise there is a socket on the ring to the boiler (20A). Is this a problem / do I need to have it moved to a 16A fuse?

Sponsored Links
A dedicated supply for a boiler is common practice, it is usually a radial circuit not a ring though. 20A is ok as long as there is a fused spur, something like this......

.....supplying the boiler and any associated components pump, thermostat, programmer etc as applicable. This should have a 3A (or 5A occasionally) fuse in it to protect the boiler.

If one socket has been added it won't be overloading the circuit, provided that suitably rated cable has been used for 20A.

Sponsored Links
.....supplying the boiler and any associated components pump, thermostat, programmer etc as applicable. This should have a 3A (or 5A occasionally) fuse in it to protect the boiler.

WRONG. The fuse is to protect the cable between the FCU and the boiler. All reputable boilers have internal fuses for protection. If this was not the case how would boilers operate in other countries where FCUs are not available or compliant?

OK, I don't disagree. Maybe it's to protect the wires running from the boiler terminals to its internal components. Whatever the case, as we are the UK, manufacturers stipulate that the fused spur to the boiler should still be fitted with a 3A fuse, or possibly less in the case of Vaillant for example:

Capture.JPG

For some oil boilers it can be 5A as the injection pump draws more current. But it will probably have thicker cables ;)

Some heating systems also have external components such as programmers, thermostats, motorised valves pump etc., which won't have internal fuses and will be supplied via the same fused spur.

WRONG. The fuse is to protect the cable between the FCU and the boiler. All reputable boilers have internal fuses for protection. If this was not the case how would boilers operate in other countries where FCUs are not available or compliant?
Maybe in those countries the gas regulations are different.

Yes, but that's the same reasoning.

Having regulations which are only possible because of local conditions and methods must mean that they are not really necessary.

If conditions in the places where they are not possible were so much worse then presumably they would be introduced.

Yes, but that's the same reasoning. Having regulations which are only possible because of local conditions and methods must mean that they are not really necessary.
That clearly would be true if the views about 'safety', and about the required level of 'safety', were the same in the various countries concerned.

Speed limits on similar roads in different countries are not necessarily the same.

Kind Regards, john

That clearly would be true if the views about 'safety', and about the required level of 'safety', were the same in the various countries concerned.
As I said, I don't follow the logic.

That Britain has (supposed) Electrical and Gas regulations stating a 3A fuse must be used on boilers (I'm not sure it is a regulation rather than something just stated because it is - like extractor fans) is only possible because Britain has 3A fuses in plugs and FCUs.

Speed limits on similar roads in different countries are not necessarily the same.
... but they could be.

I don't follow the logic.
You said

Having regulations which are only possible because of local conditions and methods must mean that they are not really necessary.

Our speed limit is different to that in France, so does that the value of ours is not necessary?

In France, motorways have a lower speed limit in the rain, our don't. Does that mean that the French regime is unnecessary?

That Britain has (supposed) Electrical and Gas regulations stating a 3A fuse must be used on boilers (I'm not sure it is a regulation rather than something just stated because it is - like extractor fans)
As you said, supposedly. It would be good to know for sure.

But assuming that there is such a regulation, then the only response to this:

is only possible because Britain has 3A fuses in plugs and FCUs.
would be "be that as it may".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back