Can you have a socket on a 20A ring?

... but they could be.
... but they aren't.

As I said, the speed limits on similar roads in different countries are not necessarily the same.

Given that the consequences of a particular vehicular impact at a certain speed (and probably the driving performance at a certain speed) will be the same in all countries, the reason for the difference in speed limits must be due to different views/attitudes to/about the level of 'acceptable risk' and the degree of 'required safety'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
but they could be.
But they aren't.

Advice on regulatory compliance should not be based on the concept that our regulations could be the same as those in other places. IANAL, but I suspect a defence against a speeding charge which was based on the idea that the speed limit elsewhere is higher would not succeed in court.

Our speed limit is different to that in France, so does that the value of ours is not necessary? In France, motorways have a lower speed limit in the rain, our don't.

Does that mean that the French regime is unnecessary?
If there are not more accidents in the rain in Britain then, yes it might be - but it is not impossible for Britain to have the same rules.

They don't have regulations stating 3A fuses must be used because they don't have any.
If boilers are not blowing up all over the place then it obviously is not necessary and Britain only does have the stipulation because it can.

You are both ignoring the difference between -

deciding to do something different out of choice, and

not being able to do the same because it doesn't exist (and thinking it not necessary to introduce it).

Sponsored Links
If boilers are not blowing up all over the place then it obviously is not necessary and Britain only does have the stipulation because it can.
I have no idea, but it's possible that road accidents/injuries/ deaths on a certain type of road are no greater in countries which have a higher speed limit on that type of road. Different countries have different ideas about 'what is required to achieve the level of safety they desire'.

Kind regards, John

Quite a few times I have been called to heating installations where there has been a short circuit for one reason or another (usually dodgy DIY work) and the contacts of the room thermostat or programmer have become welded together as a result. Every time without fail a 13A fuse was fitted, Coincidence maybe but...........

If there are not more accidents in the rain in Britain then, yes it might be - but it is not impossible for Britain to have the same rules.
Yes, but we don't.

And the converse of the example I gave above is that M. Gendarme would be unimpressed with an argument that we don't have lower speed limits in the rain if he caught you exceeding the rainy limit in France.

They don't have regulations stating 3A fuses must be used because they don't have any.
Is it not conceivable that in locations where 3A fuses in the supply are not an option, their gas regulations require the makers to install them in their devices?

Be that as it may...

You are both ignoring the difference between - choosing to do something different out of choice, and not being able to do the same because it doesn't exist (and thinking it not necessary to introduce it).
I'm not ignoring it.

If the view of other European countries were that an adequate degree of safety (in their eyes) required the introduction of a means of using these fuses, they would have introduced them (and a requirement to use them). However, they haven't, which means that they (but not necessarily all others do not feel that they are necessary.

Attitudes to, and views, regulations and laws concerning, any number of topics vary between countries.

Kind Regards, John

You are both ignoring the difference between -

deciding to do something different out of choice, and

not being able to do the same because it doesn't exist (and thinking it not necessary to introduce it).
Be that as it may....

Quite a few times I have been called to heating installations where there has been a short circuit for one reason or another (usually dodgy DIY work) and the contacts of the room thermostat or programmer have become welded together as a result. Every time without fail a 13A fuse was fitted, Coincidence maybe but...........
Fair enough.

Not sure a short circuit would be the consideration in deciding fuse rating.

is a boiler capable of overloading even a 1mm² flex, or even smaller control wiring?
Probably not, but also on the (common) feed will be all sorts of plumbers valves, pumps and other gadgetery and (worse) wiring done by the plumber. Any of those could cause an overload and suggest that a 3A is adviseable!

Probably not, but also on the (common) feed will be all sorts of plumbers valves, pumps and other gadgetery and (worse) wiring done by the plumber. Any of those could cause an overload and suggest that a 3A is adviseable!
I frankly doubt that any of those things (even a pump with a jammed motor) would blow a 3A fuse. Wiring faults cannot really, per se, result in overloads, and as for 'shorts circuits' any OPD should handle them.

I'm not deviating from my general belief that, in any situation, one might as well use the smallest possible OPD that can cope with the load, but I do accept that the argument for so doing is usually very weak (as I believe it is in the situation we're discussing).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back