Can you identify this consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
870342C6-54EB-4875-86F6-34EC372001E4.png

Long shot I know, but wondering if anyone can identify the consumer unit in this (grainy) photo from the estate agent’s website?

House was built 2001, if that helps.

Am I right in thinking it looks like the left hand bank of switches are rcd-protected?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I wonder why on earth anybody would care what make of CU is in a house they have seen on an estate agent's website.

I'm not aware that there are any which are so dreadful as to justify putting the property into the "shan't bother looking at that one" category.

Sponsored Links
House was built 2001, if that helps.
Am I right in thinking it looks like the left hand bank of switches are rcd-protected?

Legrand, split load, half with RCD, half without.
Entirely normal for a 2001 installation.

Similar to this one:
Legrand-16-Way-CCU-fuse-board-with-Main-Switch.jpg

The MCBs on the non-RCD side could be changed for RCBOs if desired.

I wonder why on earth anybody would care what make of CU is in a house they have seen on an estate agent's website.

I'm not aware that there are any which are so dreadful as to justify putting the property into the "shan't bother looking at that one" category.

Since you’re wondering... it’s the house we’re buying, and last time I was round I forgot to look, and didn’t want to bother the current owners with the query. It’s not a case of knowing so I can decide whether to buy the house or not, it’s more a case of wanting to identify it so I can look into bringing it up to modern standards, either by replacing mcb’s by rcbo’s or by replacing the whole unit.

yeah I was the same as you, wanting to start hunting for RCBOs
I don't know if it is an optical illusion (camera angle etc.), but the example photo that flameport posted looked to me as if it probably had less than an ideal amount of 'headroom' for installing RCBOs, particularly if the earth bar and neutral bars are at the top.

Kind Regards, John

but the example photo that flameport posted looked to me as if it probably had less than an ideal amount of 'headroom' for installing RCBOs,
It's possible, but not exactly easy.

As Legrand RCBOs are reasonably difficult to find and are rather expensive, probably cheaper and easier to scrap the whole thing and fit a new one.

Only 2 mcbs in the rcd side !!
Downstairs sockets I guess
Kitchen sockets maybe

Oops that’s John’s example!

As Legrand RCBOs are reasonably difficult to find and are rather expensive, probably cheaper and easier to scrap the whole thing and fit a new one.
The thing is replacing a CU is notifiable. That means if you care about being legal you have to involve either an electrican or building control which either way means a bunch of extra hassle and expense.

That means if you care about doing it right then you just have to accept whatever is concomitant with doing it right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back